Clays?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsynewby

Reaction score
I was looking on NDA at their clays, and almost all of them said that the clays are shipped to california with labeling for proposition 65, which led me to research it. It says that it's for chemicals that may cause cancer, birth defects or reproductive harm. What is in the clays that make them potentially harmful? And should I even be using them?

That's interesting. If I had to guess I'd say it would be listed for the adsorption of other chemicals on clay molecules, not the clay itself. In other words, impurities. But really that's just a guess.

Could it be a over cautious view of clay particles making ingress to the body? I know that talc is linked to some issues, as it works its way in and has been reportedly found in some tumors. Not sure if they have found clay in the same way or are just worried that it might happen

The CA Governor's list (found here) does seem to be focused on water supply contamination which suggests ingestion is a primary concern. However, some chemicals are listed for respiratory reasons as well. Indeed TEG, "talc containing asbestiform fibers" is on the list for being known to cause cancer. I'd guess the talc fits both categories.

I only know the chemical/mineralogical names of a few kinds of clay (montmorillonite, kaolin, bentonite), but none of these are listed. I don't know how these relate to our common soaping clays. Interesting enough, "aloe vera, non-decolorized whole leaf extract" is on the list for being known to cause cancer. So is airborne particles of titanium dioxide. It would be good to know more details about how much of a risk these things pose to us. I'm guessing they're pretty low risk with the application and level of exposure we typical have. Disclosure laws are great for informing us that risks may exist, but due in part to environmental complexities, usually don't help much with meaningful interpretation.

I for one would like you to call them and clarify the use of their clays for us and post what you find out. I just ordered french green clay and another one.

FWIW, most Americans consider that list to be largely a joke.

Yes the CA list is a bit Eco over the top.

The danger of impurities in clays is not a joke. Potters and other regular users of clay know this. There are government health department guidelines in Oz and the US for the safe use of clays. It is easy for soapers - just use cosmetic grade clays that have had the impurities removed.

NDA has MSDS sheets posted on their website with info on why it's a potential hazard. Click on MSDS under the "Quality and Regulation" tab. Sections #11 & #15. Most are due to trace heavy metals and respiratory issues from breathing in the dust.

Latest posts

Back