Clays & Oxides

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This soap started as an attempt to make a sink strainer pull through soap for last month's challenge, but the batter got too thick and I ended up swirling it instead. I love the colors and having done it twice now, I've learned that swirling is an excellent way to save a pull through soap gone bad. I used red and yellow Brazilian clay, white kaolin clay and for the background, a mix of green oxide and ultramarine blue. The soap on the right is the swirl from the more open strainer to the right in the mold.

D8BF8C08-1A08-4445-B34C-B8835FFD83FC.jpeg
11B4A14F-B6F0-4158-84BE-BA8DD71FC3A9.jpeg

I love this soap! Mainly because I adore the shade of blue in the background, but I also really like how you contrasted it with the clays. Beautiful!

Thanks everyone! I’m liking the oxides enough to have ordered more in other colors. I think I remember something about the darker colors bleeding, so I’m going easy on them for now. Maybe I can finally get that special shade of brown soap I was trying to get a few months ago lol :)

@ dibbles - I don’t know if you can tell from the photo, but I have plastic tubes around the strainers. They acted like pipes to contain the soap and separate it from the base soap. I made them from some thin flexible plastic sheet I had around the house. The diameter of the tubes is about 1/2“ larger than the tops of the strainer. That let the soap flow out a little bit, but not too much. And, I agree that the larger holes worked better, even though I spent entirely too much time enlarging the small holes in the other strainer.

Back