Clays colored with plants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szaza

Reaction score
Thanks to @Mobjack Bay 's wonderful experiments with madder (here) the idea arose to color white clay using an alcohol tincture (this method seemed to hold its color better than using the tincture straight up)

This is how I did it:
I made some tinctures in September using the method described here (soaking plant matter in ethanol or isopropanol for a wheek, straining it and letting it evaporate to half the original weight to increase the strength of the color). Mobjack Bay's method is a bit different and is described in her madder thread (she uses part water, part alcohol and boils down the liquid to a gel)
I soaked 5g of white kaolin clay in 10g of tincture for 5 different colorants (spirulina, moringa and wheatgrass infused ethanol, annatto and alkanet in isopropanol) and let the alcohol evaporate to create a colored clay (this took about 2-3 days).
I then made a slurry from the clay with 10g water per colorant and made slurries from green and pink french clays, also with 5g clay+10g water (+-1tsp clay +2tsp water).
Then I made a batch of soap with 500g oils, divided it into 7 portions, mixed in the clay and poured in the mold (I did a water discount for the water added to the clay). This is quite a lot of clay, 35g/500g is a bit more than 2tbs ppo, but this way I was using the same amount of colorant from the tincture I normally would and I've read some people like to use 2tbs ppo even though it's higher than the regularly suggested amount (I used this much in a soap once and it was fine, so I don't expect any problems with the soap itself)

These are the pictures:
White clay soaked in tincture (left to right: spirulina, annatto, moringa, alkanet, wheatgrass)
IMG_20200128_160616.jpg

Dried out colored clay (look how the alkanet changed color!)
IMG_20200131_115326.jpg

Added french green and pink clays for comparison
IMG_20200131_122527.jpg

Added water to the clays
IMG_20200131_123939.jpg

And finally the freshly cut soap
IMG_20200131_235054.jpg
(Bottom to top: french green clay, french pink clay, spirulina, annatto, moringa, alkanet, wheatgrass)

The french pink clay wasn't mixed in properly, but did give a lovely color at this high percentage of clay. French green clay as well as wheatgrass are a soft kaki/muddy green, but overall the colors are brighter than I expected. Spirulina is a lovely vibrant green, annatto a delicate sunshine yellow, moringa is a softer green and alkanet is blue for the moment, but since it's pH sensitive I'll have to wait a week to see the actual color.

How exciting! That soap makes me feel happy, happy, happy :)

Lately I’ve been leaving my water and alcohol solutions open to the air for a bit to let the alcohol evaporate, i.e. rather than using heat. Then I add the clay and let it soak. Without looking at my notes, I think I first went down the path of using diluted alcohol because the madder was going a bit browner in 91% isopropyl. I don’t know if that means the stronger alcohol was pulling out more of the brown pigments, or maybe the water was pulling out more of the red pigment. In any case, it may be a consideration for keeping madder as pink as possible.

I’m interested in trying your approach, especially now that I’ve started making “tinctures” using water and household ammonia, which is slower to evaporate. How dry did the clay get before you made the slurry? Was it easy to homogenize? I guess I always assumed that I would end up with a hard brick if I let the clay dry.

@Kcryss I just checked the bottle and it doesn't have a percentage written on it, so I kind of assume it's (near) 100%. The ethanol is denatured with bitrex (just in case you were wondering)

@Mobjack Bay, I was worried about the same thing. I stirred the clay up after 2 days when it was rather dry and got a powder with small clumps. The layer of clay was quite thin, so I'm sure that helped. When I was ready to make soap, I added the water and waited a bit (a trick I learned from using big clunks of rhassoul clay for hair masks) when I mixed it up after a few minutes there were no more clumps.

This thread reminded me of sonething and I just had to comment! I total bombed a soap prior to Christmas. I decided to make a CP soap with Santa's Spruce scent. When I went to mix some Micas I accidentally used alcohol instead of oil! I didn't realize it until after I poured it into my soap batter. The alcohol made the mica clump up ( like when a soap rices). Nothing helped it blend in. Totally ruined!

Sorry, I got distracted and didnt finish. I had blended 3 different shades of green. I didn't use all the mica/alcohol mix. But rather set it to the side. About a week later I was moving things around my soap room and found the mica mix cup. The alcohol had totally evaporated and left a beautiful green mica powder. Which I promptly stored for future use!

Last edited by a moderator:
Really interesting experiments here.

Does the clay help the natural colorant stick?

(almost) 1 week update. The alkanet has gotten a tinge of purple, but it's still on the blue side of the purple spectrum. It is definitely purple to my eye, but different from other alkanet colors.
Here's a comparison of the clay soap at 1 week with a soap colored with alkanet in isopropanol (round soap) and alkanet infused in sunflower oil (edit: I meant to say rectangular soap)
IMG_20200206_110253.jpg

I wonder if adding plain uncolored mica to the clays would give them a bit brighter color. Was thinking about ordering some mica and trying it out. Has anyone tried this already?

(almost) 1 week update. The alkanet has gotten a tinge of purple, but it's still on the blue side of the purple spectrum. It is definitely purple to my eye, but different from other alkanet colors.
Here's a comparison of the clay soap at 1 week with a soap colored with alkanet in isopropanol (round soap) and alkanet infused in sunflower oil (edit: I meant to say rectangular soap)
View attachment 43807

Are the colors still holding up in the soap?

I made some colored clay using the same process, soaking in 91% isopropyl (the highest available here), straining out the liquid and mixing the liquid with white kaolin clay. I just used plants I had on hand: hibiscus, parsley, alfalfa, kelp, annatto seed, and madder. I have the parsley and hibiscus drying right now and can't wait to try them. I love the color you got from the spirulina. Will have to get some soon and try it out. :)

I love the color of hibiscus, but it turns brown in soap as does parsley. I have really high hopes for both of these to keep their colors. :)
I also ordered some plain uncolored mica to mix with the powders hoping to give a little brighter color. Hopefully the order will be here this week and I can try it out. :)

I used the hibiscus colored clay in the batch I made tonight ... sort of anyway. I ended up with play-doh batter. So I put what was left on a small piece and watched it change from pink to a purple color. In these pictures:
the first is the color it ended up being after mixing the colored alcohol with the white kaolin clay and leaving it to dry for a few days
the second is after spreading a little on top of the semi-hardened batter
the third, I finished spreading the color around on the soap

I have no idea if it will turn brown by morning like hibiscus does ... but I'm hoping it stays purple. :D

upload_2020-2-27_21-41-6.png

That's really interesting! I'll put hibiscus alcohol infusion on my to-do list;)

Oh that's too bad! I'm so sorry to hear that
Yeah, I am a bit saddened by it as well. Hibiscus has such a great pink/purple color. Oh well, at least we're trying. I'm sure more amazing colors will be found using the clay coloring method. Still a great option for sure. Besides, I love the experimenting. Yours all still show great promise. :)

Latest posts

Back