Clay

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhelen

Reaction score
I have got some white kaolin clay which I have been told may help to preserve the scent of my soap. Opinions on that also welcome! But my questions are, as I use individual moulds and pour quite thin, will the clay just sink to the bottom? And what is the best way to add the clay - mix it into a few spoonfuls of your oils, or with a little water, or just stir it in before pouring?

I blend my clay with a little water to make sure it's completely wet and lump free, then I mix it into my oils before adding the lye. Clays are really fine powders, I don't think they will sink.

Darn, that sucks, Carolyn. I was hoping kaolin would help w/some of the FOs that are lighter but still nice. I am going to cross my fingers and keep trying anyway, but I hate it when I see *you* give the thumbs down to something I am hopeful about, def. makes me disinclined to potentially waste the effort. Plus I still want to see what else clay brings to the mix(es).

Last edited:
Clays are a wonderful addition to soap. I like the feel of them and depending on the type and amount can be used for different skin types.

Certain types of clay MAY help a fragrance last longer, but clay can't make a faint fragrance stronger. If anything, the clay is more likely to soak up the fragrance molecules and reduce the intensity of the scent in the beginning so it can release the scent over a longer time.

Not every clay is capable of adsorbing every type of molecule -- the type of clay and the size and shape of the scent molecules will all make a difference.

Last edited:
I just posted about Kaolin clay in an update. I was wondering if the kaolin clay can make a soap a little whiter too? I thought that a tbl sp of Kaolin clay would be good for a 4lb loft. :razz:

I recently did some clay tests (not Kaolin on this occasion) and found that some clays encourage things to heat up and speed up. After doing a bit of reading, I suspect they soaked up more of my water than others so the batch reacted as if I had used a water discount compared to my normal ratio. (hope that makes sense).

When I used Kaolin previously, I had soaked it in water for several days before hand at a ratio of about 1:4. I didn't notice acceleration with that batch which makes sense as I added water with the clay and the clay was already wet.

Or, maybe Kaolin doesn't accelerate. :?:

Someone here will know, but thought I'd put it out there so you can be aware of it if you are playing.

I add my clay directly to my oils and SB until there are no lumps..For myself, I think it helps retain some of the fragrance..not make it stronger, but makes it hang on and not fade away..could just be me and my variables tho :lol:

Spice, my favourite way to add clay (no lumps, whiteish effect with a bit of TD) is creme kaolin, which I have described somewhere in a separate thread. Results are lovely and the amount of clay incorporated quite generous.

edit: I have found th thread:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=54784

Yes, I remember this link, soap looks great. I will revisit the recipe and see what I can do.

Latest posts

Back