Clay

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigig

Reaction score
I am new to soap making. I've made about 10 batches. My question is when/how do you add clay. I purchased some powdered clay to try for coloring because my ultimate goal is to try to make all-natural soap. And now that I have some good soap recipes I want to add color. Thanks for helping.

Everyone has a different way of doing things.

I like to add clay and fragrance BEFORE I add they lye. Milk, beer, wine and aloe at the very end.

If I'm working with different colors I usually just split up the batch. Instead of 1 - 5lb batch I make 1 - 2lb and 1 - 3lb. Even 5 - 1lb. Works for me.

I like to add my clay to a small amount of soap at the time of trace, but I like to swirl my soaps, just for that little bit of 'pizazz' I add my fragrance at a light trace...... as for milk, yogurt, aloe, and those thing, I like to add them with my lye, I haven't had the opportunity to make beer soap yet, but it is on my list of soaps to make, lol!

Honestly, I think you have to find what works for you, and what you feel comfortable with. That is what I've done, worked with making soap for a while and tried a lot of different techniques, then went with the one or combination of, what worked for me.

Give a couple of options a try, before you pick and choose which method you like the best.

Hope this helps, at least a little, lol.

thank you both so much. I think I have built up my courage and I am going to give it a shot tonight.

Latest posts

Back