Clay slurries and scent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is soaking your EO in a clay creating a slurry worth doing to best retain scent? If so, when should I add the slurry: To the melted oils? I feel that would cause the Eo to evaporate, no? Or should I add it at trace so saponification is well underway? I don’t want lose the scent of precious EOs! Thanks in advance.

The jury is still out on whether they will help to retain scent. Some Eos disappear in soap because they are simply to not made to cope with the heat of soap under saponification. Your best bet is to choose Eos that are known to stick (NOT citrus!). I think @Mobjack Bay has started a thread regarding this under the fragrance oils thread.

Like @KiwiMoose said, not real proof. However, I like to use FO in my clays because it makes a nice smooth slurry without adding extra oils or water. But you have to make sure you are using the exact amount of clay, or you will be lacking clay or FO in the end if you don't use it all.

Just be careful how much clay you use when anchoring your scents. I made a rookie mistake and used 1 Tablespoon of Bentonite Clay for a batch that used 800g of oils and about 45g of fragrance oil. It definitely contributed to that batch accelerating like crazy.

I use 1 teaspoon of clay per pound of oil . I usually just add it to my melted oil and stick blend really well. If I do disperse it ahead of time, I use 1 tablespoon of batch water per teaspoon of clay. I still add it to oils before lye water. I try to add everything I can to oils and mix up before adding the lye so I don't forget later. LOL I've never thought to mix with my FO, but want to try it next batch.

Back