Clay questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wearytraveler

Reaction score
I've become interested in adding clay to my next few batches. My daughter has some Bentonite clay around she uses for making a face mask. I like it's color and that piqued my interest. I'm not very familiar with clays so I have a few questions: Is there a list of soap friendly clays that show their color (preferably in its powdered form and what it looks like when used in soap) and known beneficial properties? What is the typical measurement of clay to use per batch size? Are there some clays that work better with soap than others? What can I expect when using clay (will it accelerate trace? Etc.)? Does the use of clay affect the outcome of the bar (Harder/softer)?
Any and all answers are appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes, I think I saved one of many links such as that. I'll look for it and put it here if I find it.

So far, not finding the one I'm looking for, but until I do here are some that I liked enough to save:

Bramble Berry's listing of clays they sell includes some of that information, but not all you asked about.

Lovin' Soap soapmaking Studio lists some clays with examples of how they look in CP soap, including how to add them.

The Original Soap Dish list some clays and someof their properties and how often used.

From Nature with Love sells a few more clays, and if you look at the descriptions you will find some of what you asked about.

I'm still looking for a link I really think I saved that included information on MANY more types of clays, but can't seem to find it.

Well, that got me into trying to organize my bookmarks again! I recently replaced my computer and when I migrated my bookmarks, they aren't as easy to look through as they were before. It's very frustrating. So I worked on that for awhile and looked for the one I remember liking a lot, but still couldn't find it. Maybe I didn't bookmark it after all, or maybe it's bookmarked on another device. I think I'll quit looking, though. If it turns up, I'll add it here if I remember. Sorry. :-?

Last edited:
Earlene. Thanks for the links. I wasn't aware that there are so many clays and powders! No need for apologies as you offered a lot of info. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread for more replies/info.

Thanks again!

I haven't used too many different clays, but I get a soft gray green with French green clay, and the purple Brazilian clay gave me a mauve color. My advice is to hydrate the clay with some of the water reserved from what you need for the lye, and I just add that to the oils.

I like using clays in soap. To me it adds a bit of "bounce" to the bar, and a bit of glide over the skin.
Looking through my recipes, I have used 1 tsp bentonite per pound of soap, mixed with 2 TBSP of water pulled from what I will mix the lye with (Bentonite is very thirsty).

I have also mixed bentonite with the oils before adding the lye water with good results, but I think I like adding the water better.
My favorite is to mix my essential oils with the clay, both to hydrate the clay and make the scent "stick" a bit better - I've done this with French green clay, no reason it wouldn't work with bentonite.

I think the most important tip about working with clays in soap is to be sure that you mix the clay very well into a slurry with your liquid of choice, don't just add it dry to the soap batter.

Last edited:
I really like Australian pink, yellow and kaolin.
I use kaolin in every batch, it adds nice slip and bit of a shine to the bars.
I add clay with TD directly to the oils (mixed with a bit of oil first) and stick blend to eliminate small lumps.
It will speed up the trace slightly so beware. :D

My favorite is to mix my essential oils with the clay, both to hydrate the clay and make the scent "stick" a bit better - I've done this with French green clay, no reason it wouldn't work with bentonite.

I like to do the same! If I'm mixing in clay, or powdered lemon peel, oat powder, whatever, I like to mix my essential oils in too and let it soak for a bit! I wasn't actually sure if it really helped the scents stick or not, but I feel like for those soaps that I do this with it does seem to last a little longer - but then again there could be some other variable. Glad I'm not crazy, though! :)

Back