clay mask stings a little

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monica_souza_

Reaction score
Hi, everyone.
I am new to the soapmaking world (6 mo) and i found a recipe that i like and works for most people. But now i want to introduce new products, like clay masks. But even when a follow a recipe that was tested before by professionals i found that it usually stings on the first day and gets better with time. When i do the PH test, is between 7 or 8.
Can you help me found the error?

the recipe
Recipe: Heated Oil Phase: Sweet Almond Oil - 12 grams Complete Emulsifying wax - 5 grams Heated Water Phase: Distilled water - 85 grams Dry Ingredients: French Pink Clay - 25 grams Cool Down Phase: Preservative - 0.8 grams Essential Oil of your choice - 10 to 15 drops

i work with grams, so i don't know the precise measurements in ounces

Is it your skin that is burning or your testers too? What kind of essential oils have you used?

Clay dries my face badly, even a small amount in soap can cause my skin to crack. I wonder if you are sensitive to clay? You might try kaolin, its the only kind that I can use on occasion.

Essential oils are not interchangeable. Some of them are skin-safe, some are not, and some can only be used in very tiny amounts. So I would not trust any recipe from any source that says to use a set amount of “your choice of essential oils.” This is someone who does not know what they are doing. Always always check safe usage rates. I like EOCALC.com for that.

I would make a small test amount without the EO or preservative. See if that stings. If so, follow @Obsidian 's suggestion of changing the clay and try it, again without the preservative or EO. Then make a small test amount leaving out only the EO to see if it is the preservative. You get the picture.
And @AliOop is right, not all EOs are interchangeable in quantity regarding safe amounts or even recommended for facial skin. So do some research in that area regardless of whether the culprit is the EO.
We all have to be our own little Research and Development Departments in soap making. But that's part of the fun.

Side note: isn't it fascinating how the skin has different sensitivities on different parts of the body.

sorry for taking to long to replay. i used nipagauard for the preservative. i tried it without the EO and i didn't had any reaction,but my sister found it a little annoying.
i think is a person to person thing.

Back