Clay in CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moh18

Reaction score
Hi,

When you use clay in your recipe, except for colour, which property does it add to it?

Thank you!

Clays can add an exfoliating property for sure, especially more abrasive ones like bentonite. But there's so much more to clays in soap. Each brings its own value to the table. Some are better for dry skin while others are better for oily or acne prone skin. Check out this great article for some more information: Cosmetic Clays in Skin Care

I really depends on the clay. In soap, they do tend to add slip but that's where similarities end. Clays can be drying in soap and some are more drying than others. Bentonite is notorious for being a big offender in drying skin BUT on its own as a mask, it's beneficial for those with combination to oilier skin types. Kaolin is used by some to anchor certain scents that it known to fade. It is also the most gentle of the clays and not as drying as many others (some people may not find clays to be drying at all but I am not one of those people).

@AliOop I'm one of those people who can and will attest that clays draw impurities out. But that is also because I sometimes make masks with them. In soap, I do think they lend some of their properties the bars they're in but I acknowledge I'm less willing and able to prove that (let me enjoy having clearer skin for once in my life before I wreck it in an experiment DX).

@Arimara I totally agree that clay masks do draw out impurities. And I also agree that whether those properties survive saponification, even in some diminished capacity, is a little less clear. Everyone is different, and as you noted, clays differ from one another, as well. I've never tried Kaolin as a mask, and hate to use up my precious stash in an experiment, haha! But I do have a bunch of Australian Blue Clay that I bought for soap but didn't really like. Perhaps I shall make a mask with that. Thanks for the good idea!

Back