Clay as additives

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too use 1/2 tsp ppo - 1 tsp ppo...and I never have an issue with losing lather/bubbles and hasn't caused me any issues with drying :)

I totally agree with KristaMarie and Obsidian. Bentonite does seem drying. I use Kaolin in a lot of my soaps. I think it slightly reduces lather (so slight I'm the only one that notices), but it does add some slickness to the bar. Kaolin makes it glide along the skin easier. Thinking on it now, maybe that's part of the reason for lather reduction... Perhaps the bar doesn't catch against hair/skin and shear off bits as quickly, so it needs more rubbing to build the bubbles. Hrmn :think:

If you're looking for hardening to get soap out of the mold faster/easier... try salt or sodium lactate.
snappyllama, do you know if kaolin clay can be mixed into soap batter that has oo infused with paprika??:wave:

I don't have the patience to infuse my oils for colors so I haven't tried it. I cannot think of a reason why it would negatively impact anything. I'd go for it!

I don't have the patience to infuse my oils for colors so I haven't tried it. I cannot think of a reason why it would negatively impact anything. I'd go for it!
I used the Kaolin Clay and it was wonderful. No negative affects. His is a HP ginger soap with lemongrass eo.

Ginger Soap Paprika infused_58.jpg

Latest posts

Back