Classico Olive Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsnbubbles

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Bertolli Brand Classico Olive Oil? It says it is composed of refined olive oils and virgin olive oils. Is that considered Pomace?

olive oil

hi there!

no, you have virgin olive oil. pomace oil is usually not sold in grocery stores. if i run short of olive oil and i buy in a grocery store i buy olive oil that does not say extra virgin, or virgin. it just says olive oil. it's cheaper and it's usually on the lower shelves of the store.

i have mixed feelings about pomace oil. it is the last pressing of olives and pits. it's sometimes solvent extracted and can be very "touchy"

hope this helps.

monet

I have used this particular olive oil with no problems. I believe Paul (Soapmaker Man) also uses it.

Chris

I have also used this brand with no problems. I use the SAP number for plain olive oil vs pomace olive oil. Sometimes I use it for the lighter color.

Digit

digit said:
I have also used this brand with no problems. I use the SAP number for plain olive oil vs pomace olive oil. Sometimes I use it for the lighter color.

Digit
Ditto here

Yup, It's all I have ever used. I buy it at Sams in 3 litre jugs. I really like it! I have never used pomice or EVOO, only the Bertolli Classico in my soaps.

oil_classico.jpg

Ilovesoap said:
Me too! I love it, make a very creamy colored soap.

I just made 2 batches of Castile soap, yeah i used pomace olive oil in mine, because I heard it traces faster. Well it's been sitting in the mold for just over 24 hours, I know I have to allow this to set for a longer period of time and all, I've heard around 48 hours, before removing the soap from the mold, is this kind of a guideline verses 'rule of thumb'? i am kind of playing it by ear, should I just keep playing it by ear or is there a time limit that I might be able to shoot for here? LOL Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, this is my first time with castile soaps, i've always used a more 'detailed' recipe, LOL

Fear of the unknown I guess, LOL!

I wouldn't worry too much about having an exact time or anything....if it too soft to handle, leave it longer.

I usually just gently press on the top edge of the soap and if it squishes too much, I leave it alone for awhile.

Once a castile soap sets up, it can get really hard. I usually cut mine right after the 24 hours.

hmm...my Sam's Club does not carry Classico. They carry Star brand light olive oil. I have only used that. It says it is 100% olive oil. It makes a very light cream colored soap. I have never made a true Castille though, all mine are Bastille.

" really rita said," I have never made a true Castille though, all mine are Bastille.

Thanks reallyrita! May I ask, what is Bastille? Shows my newbieness!LOL! :lol

Latest posts

Back