Classes?!??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetBubbleTreat

Reaction score
Has anyone taken classes for soap and cosmetics in order to take the tests and be certified in making your products to sell to public??? If so what classes did you take??? And did they help to pass the tests???
I’m wanting to take the tests but when I do the practice tests it throws questions in there I’m not familiar with and I have no clue how to answer the questions. Please help…I know my wording is vague but I’m not sure how to word this post any better.
thank you for all your help!!

You don't need to be "certified' by anyone to sell your products in the US. However, depending on your local and state laws, you might need a business license. You will want to follow laws regarding the proper labeling of your packaging. There may be local and state rules/laws about 'home-based/cottage' industries and being able to use a 'chemical' (sodium hydroxide) in a residential area. You're also going to want to have product liability insurance. You will need additional insurance if you have a shop or have customers coming to your personal property (check with your homeowner's insurance).

Now if you are planning internationally, you will need to make sure you follow the laws of the country you will be shipping to. As an example, if you plan on selling your soap in Europe, you will need to have every recipe assessed.

Are you taking about the HCSG certification?
Yes exactly. I have their insurance and am a member now. But wasn’t sure about the classes.

You don't need to be "certified' by anyone to sell your products in the US. However, depending on your local and state laws, you might need a business license. You will want to follow laws regarding the proper labeling of your packaging. There may be local and state rules/laws about 'home-based/cottage' industries and being able to use a 'chemical' (sodium hydroxide) in a residential area. You're also going to want to have product liability insurance. You will need additional insurance if you have a shop or have customers coming to your personal property (check with your homeowner's insurance).

Now if you are planning internationally, you will need to make sure you follow the laws of the country you will be shipping to. As an example, if you plan on selling your soap in Europe, you will need to have every recipe assessed.
I have the insurance through the hcsg currently…..will I need additional insurance for my shop??? I’m only selling in U.S.

I don’t sell my soaps and I have insurance. As my friends give to their friends.. So FWIW, I would absolutely have insurance if you are selling.
As far as the exam, I keep putting off taking it myself, so take this with a grain of salt. But yes, there seem to be many questions on exchanging oils, labeling requirements, and SAP values. Personally speaking, if any of those topics seem challenging, I felt maybe Is an indication I’m not ready for the certification quite yet. YMMV 😃

Has anyone taken classes for soap and cosmetics in order to take the tests and be certified in making your products to sell to public??? If so what classes did you take??? And did they help to pass the tests???

When I first joined the Colorado Soapmakers Yahoo Group in 2004 there were several members that had the Master Certification from the Handcrafted Soap & Cosmetics Guild. They were the ones who (to this day!) achieved the greatest success in selling bath & body products on a retail and wholesale level. (Think "pay off the mortgage" and "send the kids to college" and "travel") I highly recommend their classes for where you want to go with your business.

We had "Gatherings" once a year and informal demos on a regular basis where the top members shared their knowledge and expertise. They also handed out Tip Sheets for making the product they demonstrated. I learned a lot from them for which I am forever grateful. :)

In general, they started out selling at Farmers Markets and the top Seasonal Events around the State for about 4 years before hitting the big time. That's where they got feedback from face-to-face interaction with customers. It was an excellent way to build a customer base that carried them through the lean years of selling.

Most of the members who are active here on SMF are hobbyists like myself. I imagine those who are big time sellers don't have time to hang out. 🤣 More's the pity. That being said, Quite a few members sell at farmers markets and seasonal events and often do have time to share their knowledge and experience.

THE BUSINESS FORUM is your best bet for getting answers to any questions you may have for building your business. You need 50 posts and to have been active for 3 months to access that forum. Supporting Members are also welcome. :thumbs::)

Yes exactly. I have their insurance and am a member now. But wasn’t sure about the classes.

I have the insurance through the hcsg currently…..will I need additional insurance for my shop??? I’m only selling in U.S.
You will need additional insurance if you are opening a brick-and-mortar shop. For online or open-air markets you are covered with Guild Insurance. Sorry I forget who underwrites their insurance even though I was covered by them for years. I used them because they were one of few that included candles.

I highly recommend you do not involve your Homeowner insurance as it will get very messy if you are making your soap at home. Homeowner's insurance providers consider it manufacturing, which it will also come under if you open a brick-and-mortar and make your soap in your shop.

Latest posts

Back