Citrus Scents in CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllieMae

Reaction score
This may be a silly, basic question but...I know citrus EOs do not fare well in CP because the scent tends to fade/not make it through the saponification process. Would using an FO take care of that problem?

If citrus FOs do well in CP - what are some of your faves/go-tos? I currently use primarily EOs but I'd like to venture out into FOs since there are so many wonderful fragrances to choose from (that are less likely to bankrupt me haha). Any 10/10 suggestions?

If you do like citrus you can try May Chang (AKA Litsea Cubeba) or Lemongrass. Both seem to fare reasonably well in CP and neither is particularly expensive compared to other EOs. I tend to blend one of these with my FOs just to satisfy my own need to have some EOs in my soap.

Bergamot has lingered relatively long for me (longer than the usual orange or lemon). I love bergamot scent but realize it's not everyone cup of tea (except of course if your cup of tea is Early Grey.... :) ).

FOs may be a safer bet indeed, or a mix of them. I actually tend to blend most of my FOs with a bit of bergamot EO (most FOs are a bit too sweet for me) and that works out quite well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I never even considered blending EO and FO.

Bergamot and lemongrass are faves of mine too and I have used them in EO. I have so many friends and family asking for orange and lemon and grapefruit. I’ll definitely check out that review chart.

Thanks for the suggestions. I never even considered blending EO and FO.

Bergamot and lemongrass are faves of mine too and I have used them in EO. I have so many friends and family asking for orange and lemon and grapefruit. I’ll definitely check out that review chart.
Just use orange, lemon or grapefruit blended with may chang and it should stick. My may chang soaps have very good scent retention.

Latest posts

Back