Citrus Grandis Seed Extract / Grapefruit Seed Antibacterial Soap

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand it, preservatives are added to GSE, which is why people take it as being a preservative- it's not the GSE itself that works, rather the added preservatives in the product itself.

paillo

Reaction score
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your last question, but are you saying you want to use triclosan, and if so, why? Crest has removed it from its ingredients, Europe banned it five years ago, Minnesota banned it a couple years ago, and the FDA is investigating it further after non-industry research has shown it to be a known hormone disruptor and carcinogen. Just me, but I avoid it like the plague.

Last edited:

dixiedragon

Reaction score
All soap is antibacterial in that it removes bacteria from the skin during the washing process. Using triclosan or other "antibacterial" ingredients is no more effective than just using plain soap.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm205999.htm
I made my aunt a soap with tea tree and lavender EO (both with anti bacterial properties) and she swore it stopped her from getting small infected scratches after gardening. She always washed her hands with regular soap but that didn't always prevent the infections.

Arimara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made my aunt a soap with tea tree and lavender EO (both with anti bacterial properties) and she swore it stopped her from getting small infected scratches after gardening. She always washed her hands with regular soap but that didn't always prevent the infections.
Good to note.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
There is no way that ingredients list is in the correct order! Just sayin'.....

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ I was going to mention the same thing. My daughter that has skin problems due to medicines can only use a simple tea tree soap. Least amount of ingredients with max tea tree