Citrus FO binding problems?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristus_Apollo

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been answered already but being new my forum search-fu is currently weak.

For my second soap, I'd like to give it a refreshing lemony scent. But I've read on other sites that citrus EOs or FOs are difficult to bind with the potential exception of lemon grass EO.

Does anyone have experience with this, and if true, were you able to get the citrus fragrance incorporated and bound so that after curing it still had a significant aroma?

Citrus FOs are notorious for fading. One very popular one is Energy from Brambleberry. I personally don't care for it, but it is in their Top 10 most popular scents, so I am in the minority. I had a sample bottle and mixed it with some orange EO and I think that helped it stick.

The only way I have been successful with citrus EOs is to blend them with FOs. Even in M&P they seem to fade.

Citrus FOs are notorious for fading. One very popular one is Energy from Brambleberry. I personally don't care for it, but it is in their Top 10 most popular scents, so I am in the minority. I had a sample bottle and mixed it with some orange EO and I think that helped it stick.

Thanks for the info dixiedragon. I looked up their Energy FO and I don't think it's what I'm looking for. I want to try to stick with only a lemony scent.

The only way I have been successful with citrus EOs is to blend them with FOs. Even in M&P they seem to fade.

Thanks Cindy2428. I'll keep that in mind. My first and only batch of soap so far I used an almond FO so it's nice to know that EOs tend to fade and that a combination or an FO should be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all EOs fade, and not all FOs stick. As far as citrus, I have found these to help:

1. Soap as cool as possible. Try to prevent gel.

2. Use citrus EOs in combination with litsea cubeba, lemongrass, or both.

3. I have also had success blending citrus with rosemary, but then you have the rosemary component of the scent too. I love it, but maybe not everybody does.

Not all EOs fade, and not all FOs stick. As far as citrus, I have found these to help:

1. Soap as cool as possible. Try to prevent gel.

2. Use citrus EOs in combination with litsea cubeba, lemongrass, or both.

3. I have also had success blending citrus with rosemary, but then you have the rosemary component of the scent too. I love it, but maybe not everybody does.

Thanks for the info green soap! I was aware of #2 as far as the lemon grass but will attempt a cooler mixture too. I love rosemary so I think I'll give that a shot with the other suggestions.

Just some thoughts - sorry if they're fractured! I've used clays and oat flour to try to anchor the scent and base notes like sandalwood and vanilla (usually fragrance oils in my case). I've liked Jasmine and Lavender with citrus. I tried Coconut fragrance with lime eo and that was pretty good. I've also stored cottonballs loaded with drops of e.o. with soap in box after cutting and curing. Green soaps recommendations are wonderful. Litsea and lemongrass are great lemon scents, lemongrass discolors.

Unfortunately, I think the most surefire way to avoid citrus fading is to HP it and use a ton (okay, maybe not a ton) of oil. But using more tenacious lemony scents like litsea and lemongrass alongside your real lemon is a good idea.

Concentrated citrus scents are amazing too, I've had great luck with 15x orange but I do find it to have more of a "simple" scent if that makes sense? It's like some of the subtler notes are missing and you're left with a very candy-like citrus.

Latest posts

Back