Citrus Essential Oils and Leave on products

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
I've been reading about Citrus Essential oils such as Lime, Lemon, and Orange. That they are photosensitive and can alter the color of the skin permanently.

I'm pretty certain that we are "Good to go" with products such as soap since we are rinsing it off.

But, what about leave on products such as lotion? Is it acceptable to use these essentials in "Leave On" products?

If you go to the manufacturer websites and use the fragrance calculators, many of them will give you a safe percentage. But I'm still a little skeptical.

So, citrus essential oils in leave on products, yes or no?

I don't make a lot of leave on products, but I do avoid citrus for lotions. I've never read anything about permanently altering skin color though. I am only cautious about the photosensitivity aspect.

I've certainly heard of people using lemon juice to enhance the lightening effect of the sun on their hair, and to bleach freckles and dark pigmented areas on skin. I would be very cautious about citrus in any leave-on products for that reason.

I don't make a lot of leave on products, but I do avoid citrus for lotions. I've never read anything about permanently altering skin color though. I am only cautious about the photosensitivity aspect.
Yeah thanks for the tips. Maybe I'm confused on what photosensitive means. I've always thought it meant changing your skin color permanently when exposed to the sun.

Straight lemon juice on the skin while exposed to sunlight can cause hyperpigmentation. It is not necessarily permanent, but it can last a long time, depending on the damage done. Other citrius than contains coumarins and furocoumarins that contribute to photosensitivity include: lime, pummelo, grapefruit, sweet orange, mandarin, clementines, bergamot, etc. But they are more concentrated in the integument of these fruits (the peel, including the whitish under layer of the peel called the albedo). Some flowers also contain these chemicals, as do other vegetations, such as celery, parsley, parsnips, as well as some plants that livestock may graze on out in the field (causing photosensitivity in said livestock.) The purpose of these chemicals in fruits and flowers is for protection against predators.

There are extensive sources on these topics from Medical sources (National Institute of Health, for example) to Horticultural & Agricultural sources to Cosmetics industry sources to Institutions of Higher Learning sources (university) and so on, internationally.

It is wise to research every additive one considers putting into any leave-on product, not only for its possible affect on the skin should the user spend time outdoors, but also for drug interactions. Many drugs also cause photo
sensitivity and in combination with other chemicals, this can be exacerbated or enhanced exponentially.

The list of vegetation that contain photosensitizing agents is extensive; I will leave that up to each person to investigate on their own, based on what ingredient they are considering to include. Is it any wonder cosmetics are so strictly regulated in the EU and Canada? It is a wonder (& IMO, a shame) there is not more regulation in the US for cosmetics sold by the cottage industry.

I remember reading that not all citrus cause photosensitivity, that sweet orange EO, for example, did not (and it is therefore safe to use in lotions) I do not recall exactly if it has to do with the extraction method - cold press vs steam distillation. I will see if I can find the source.
Found one that refers you to a book, but there is a list, and also talks about safe usage rates:
https://www.humblebeeandme.com/faqs/dont-recommend-using-citrus-essential-oils-many-body-recipes/
One thing to be aware with citrus EO’s is their storage (preferably keep them in the frigde), as if they tend to oxidize faster and could cause hypersensitivity then.

If you go to the manufacturer websites and use the fragrance calculators, many of them will give you a safe percentage. But I'm still a little skeptical.

So, citrus essential oils in leave on products, yes or no?
Yes, I do use them -- particularly pink grapefruit in lip balm, lemon EO in hair conditioner, and lime in my MSM/Emu Oil Cream for arthritis as well as a number of mens' grooming products. Sweet orange is used in a lot of essential oil blends. It's a good blender -- plays nice with a wide range of EOs.

I use MMS FRAGRANCE CALC to determine amount to add.

The main problem using citrus EOs in soap is that they are volatile oils and tend to dissipate if not added to a blend with an anchoring EO, i.e., Litsea Cubeba aka "May Chang".

Another option to make citrus EOs "stick" in CP, HP and LS is to combine them with a compatible FO.

Back