Citrus EO's and Liquid Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tank7900

Reaction score
Hello All!

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend. I have a question regarding Citrus EO's and Liquid soap. When I use citrus EO's with my liquid soap, they always cloud, and even change the consistency of the soap. I was wondering what causes this to happen, and what can I do to make the soap more stable so I can use citrus EO's? Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Happy Soaping,

Tank

It happens to me as well- a perfectly clear liquid soap will turn milky (and stay milky) the second I add orange EO. I decided to only use citrus EOs in soaps in a dispenser that are ok when milky looking, or for shampoos. I think some oils just do this.

Tank, when you say it changes the consistency what does it do - make it thinner, clumpy, or something else? I'm making my first LS this coming weekend and was planning on using a citrus EO but now better re-think my scent. I don't care if it's milky looking as long as it still feels nice in the shower.

Kazmi,

It usally thins out the soap a good bit. Almost as if it is breaking it down. Still experimenting with Grapefruit, Lime, and Tangerine EO's

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll probably try a little bit to see what happens if I add any citrus EO to a small batch when I get mine done. I'll post back when I do.

Lemongrass doesn't cloud. Not a true citrus, but has a nice lemony scent. i add polysorbate 80 to my liquid soaps to get rid of the cloudiness issue.

Very true, lemongrass is a staple in my liquid soap kingdom. I have not tried the polysorbate tip.

Latest posts

Back