Citrus EO mixing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clhigh29

Reaction score
Now that I purchased grapefruit and tangerine eo, I don't know what to do with them. I've read on line that grapefruit can be anchored with either benzoin, or patchouli and litsea cubea. Benzoin seems to get mixed reviews, but my husband hates patchouli (I'm regretting that purchase too). Does anybody have any anchoring suggestions for these eos? And if anyone has tried it, how little patchouli can I get away with to anchor the citrus? I was also considering Yuzu fo. It smells yummy with orange 10x, but not sure it will do the job for the grapefruit. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

You can also use clay or a cornstarch to help anchor citrus EO's, not sure how much of either though.

Will Bentonite Clay anchor the EO too? I already use it in my base recipe and I have a planned soap that calls for Grapefruit EO and I'm curious if it's worth switching to a different clay. Even though I adore Bentonite.

With my salt bars I don't use anything.. The salt seems to anchor it.

Otherwise I've done bentonite and other clays. Still can't tell if it makes a difference.

Btw - a nice FO combo is Kumquat and Yuzu. :) I'm not a huge Yuzu fan but I like it with kumquat from BB.

With Litsea how much ratio to other EO do you do? Litsea is so strong but I know many recommend it.. I only ever smell the Litsea when I use it. :/

3:2:1 lets say 3 parts lemon, 2 parts lavender or grapefruit, 1 part of litsea. It seems to work very nice for me:)

Salt anchors grapefruit?!!! Perfect! That's exactly how I'll use my Himalayan pink salt. Thanks for all the suggestions. I only now got the time to view responses; was side track by kids and the quick loaf I had to whip up with the new indigo I just received.

I haven't had great results with citrus EO in CP, but I use a blend of grapefruit, lemon, and orange EOs in a citrus HP soap, and the scent comes through really strong.

I personally haven't noticed a big difference with Litsea added to a citrus blend. For my grapefruit bars I use a small amount of lemongrass to help anchor. As soon as I added in the lemongrass they really started to fly off the table.

I've also had great luck with Orris Root powder, but because the stuff I have now is too scratchy I've left it behind. I have citrus bars that I made over 2 years ago with Orris Root and they still smell like citrus. The citrus in the bars I didn't use Orris Root in have only a tiny bit of scent left.

Now that I purchased grapefruit and tangerine eo, I don't know what to do with them. I've read on line that grapefruit can be anchored with either benzoin, or patchouli and litsea cubea. Benzoin seems to get mixed reviews, but my husband hates patchouli (I'm regretting that purchase too). Does anybody have any anchoring suggestions for these eos? And if anyone has tried it, how little patchouli can I get away with to anchor the citrus? I was also considering Yuzu fo. It smells yummy with orange 10x, but not sure it will do the job for the grapefruit. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

I do use benzoin and it does seem to help but is very thick and hard to use. Patch is my main anchor. I also use a mix of grapefruit, tangerine, lemongrass with litsea that holds quite well. Tangerine lemon and lime, in my opinion are the hardest to anchor. If you are not opposed to fo, when making tangerine I mix some tangerine fo to hold the fragrance, and do the same with grapefruit. I have never found that clay helps, citrus eo soaps just fade over time, unlike using a good fo.

Latest posts

Back