Citric acid and graininess

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microchick

Reaction score
I decided to try citric acid (Milliard brand found on Amazon) in a few recent batches, then I made a couple of batches without CA but with the same ingredients. The ones with CA are just a tad grainy (I actually like the unexpected exfoliation); the others are smooth. I saw on a FB post someone mentioned he switched to CA powder. Is this a thing, different than regular CA? And does anyone else notice the graininess? TIA!

Last edited:
Are you dissolving the citric acid in water and adding it to your soap as a solution? Or are you adding the powder directly to the soap batter without dissolving the powder first?

I use Milliard citric acid for other purposes, and it always dissolves quickly and easily without leaving any solid residue. I'm perplexed that it would make your soap rough unless it wasn't fully dissolved for some reason.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding your story, however.

For one batch I dissolved CA and powdered sugar in DW and added it to the cool NaOH solution. For the other I dissolved it with the sugar in warm DW and added it to clay and goat milk powder which had been absorbing DW for a while, then the whole bit was blended into the oils before the lye was added. I used the measurements as recommended in Soapmakingfriend.

The efflorescence (crystallization) you're thinking about, @Megan, happens on the surface of the bar after the soap is cut, not within the soap. It's caused by the movement of water to the surface of the bar, bringing dissolved citric acid with it. The water evaporates on the surface, but the citric acid can't evaporate, so the dried citric acid creates a white film on the surface of the soap.

I just started using CA on the weekend... the one soap that's been cut seems smooth with no graininess the other is still in the mold. I put it in the cooled lye/water solution along with the SL.

You have to dissolve it in sufficient water to ensure it is totally dissolved ie clear water at the end. Same with salt. I use both and have no graininess in soap.
I think you have nailed my problem! I only use 1% of oil weight but pretty sure I wasn't patient enough to wait till it was properly dissolved. Off to try this again.
Thank you everyone for taking time to guide me!

Latest posts

Back