Cinnamon EO in CP Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CelestaMoon

Reaction score
Hi soapers,
I have just whipped up a batch of cinnamon cold process soap but i am so scared and nervous that i may have used too much cinnamon EO. it was a pretty small batch it made about 30oz and i added about 2 tablespoons of cinnamon eo. it is cinnamon bark, can anyone tell me if this was a little over board and if it will irritate the skin. i usually make a 60oz batch of soap and use about 2 tablespoons of eo but it never shines through how i'd like so i decided it was a smaller batch this time around so i wont alter the amount of eo i usually put so it would smell potent....but i had not thought of what it could do to the skin at the time and now i'm sitting here thinking of the itchy rashes this may potentially cause, what's your take.? i've got another batch to do tomorrow as i didn't have enough molds and if this isn't a smart idea id rather tweak it before continuing on with the recipe how it is. Thanks guys!

Cinnamon EO is a restricted oil and you should be no more than 0.4% as it is such a skin irritant. For cinnamon I would recommend a fragrance oil and even with that use a light hand.

2 TBL = a bit under 1 ounce by weight. That's roughly 3% based on 30 oz total.

Looking at cinnamon bark EO, I see it is a skin sensitizer. The information I have in my notes, is this EO should be 0.6% or less in skin products, but stick with Lindy's number to be safe. In either case, yeah, a little overkill.

(And for those with cinnamon leaf EO, it too is a sensitizer and should be 1% or less.)

Thanks guys! i wish i was thinking while doing this...i wasn't thinking so much on the oil but more of getting the scent to shine through. too bad they look so cute! i guess i'll just use them for display in my bathroom and start over again tomorrow! thanks again for the advice. happy holidays!

Try the soap once. If you don't get a burning feeling, then you can use it for yourself. Don't give it away or sell it. I have used cinnamon bark EO at that concentration once(before I knew better).

may house smells like cinnamon hearts haha i guess i won in one way but i think the smell is going to get a little sickening after a few days so perhaps ill tuck it away somewhere nice lol!

may house smells like cinnamon hearts haha i guess i won in one way but i think the smell is going to get a little sickening after a few days so perhaps ill tuck it away somewhere nice lol!

Holy smokes, for those of you who enjoy the misfortune of others (or least me), I got a bottle of Star Anise from SMR which is actually a really nice scent. Anyway SMR fills their bottles right to the top so after I got it I wanted to mix it with other EOs and see if I could get some synergy going with my other EOs. When I stuck my pipette into the bottle the pipette displaced it's volume and the EO overflowed all over the floor (this is where I sit to watch TV). I wiped it up then mopped that spot several time and nothing could get the smell out. So the spill plus using it heavy handed my first go around using it soap left my whole place smelling strongly of Star Anise. Prior to this experience I didn't really believe in aroma therapy having any real effect on a person other than just smelling nice things makes us feel good and there are benefits to feeling good. And this may be a placebo effect or just serendipity but I found out that star anise is often used in to treat constipation. With the heavy handed soap and spill where I hang out most of the time well lets just say for several days I didn't have any problems in the constipation dept.

LMAO well, i have my fair share of bowel movement...or lack there of. maybe i'll "Accidentally" spill some haha TMI

Hello! Don't give up on having soap smell of cinnamon. Although it is a fragrance oil this product is skin safe and has a really strong (but wonderful) smell in soap and candle products. It is called "Atomic Fireball Cinnamon" and it is sold from Aroma Haven & Rustic Escentuals. I use it in my soap and it smells divine. :angel: Here is the link: http://rusticescentuals.com/Atomic-Fireball-Cinnamon.html

Hello! Don't give up on having soap smell of cinnamon. Although it is a fragrance oil this product is skin safe and has a really strong (but wonderful) smell in soap and candle products. It is called "Atomic Fireball Cinnamon" and it is sold from Aroma Haven & Rustic Escentuals. I use it in my soap and it smells divine. :angel: Here is the link: http://rusticescentuals.com/Atomic-Fireball-Cinnamon.html

Thanks, i'm sure it smells great but as i make organic and natural soaps i try to stay clear of fragrance oils. it kinda sucks cus there are so many delicious scents i'd like to try but if the fragrance oil isn't natural or organic i stay clear. there is however a great store here in Montreal Canada that sells amazing organic fragrance oils if anyone is interested they have an online store as well. https://www.coopcoco.ca/en

Thanks for this link Moody Glenn! I just ordered it. :p I love the smell of cinnamon but am always leery of using the EO because it's such a skin irritant. Can't wait to give a try!

Thanks, i'm sure it smells great but as i make organic and natural soaps i try to stay clear of fragrance oils. it kinda sucks cus there are so many delicious scents i'd like to try but if the fragrance oil isn't natural or organic i stay clear. there is however a great store here in Montreal Canada that sells amazing organic fragrance oils if anyone is interested they have an online store as well. https://www.coopcoco.ca/en

I couldn't find the organic fragrance oils there. Could you link to a specific one?

Personally, I would rather use a soap with 4% of a non-organic material rather than an organic material which is used at 6x it's safe rate. Or a scent less soap.

Star Anise is also neural toxic and can bring on seizures so it also needs to be used with a light hand.

Awesome!

Lindy you seem to be a good person to ask, I need a good reference for EOs as all the information on the internets I can find about EO safety tends to conflict with other sites and often the most prevalent information are from the people pedaling EOs so they naturally stray away from the negative. Do you have any suggestions for books and or trusted references where I can learn more? Ideally I'd like a book that listed sensitivity issues, rates of use ect for soap and body products.

I couldn't find the organic fragrance oils there. Could you link to a specific one?

Personally, I would rather use a soap with 4% of a non-organic material rather than an organic material which is used at 6x it's safe rate. Or a scent less soap.

In the left hand column there is a link labeled "Organic!" Looks like it's all the organic ingredients mixed together.
https://www.coopcoco.ca/en/a-e/apple-spice
If that is indeed what the poster is referring to.

This site has a bunch of Fragrance oils in the organic/natural line. I order from them fairly often. Great products, a tad slow on getting the order packed up, usually takes them 3 days or so.

http://www.texasnaturalsupply.com/Flavors-Scents-Natural-s/1832.htm

Latest posts

Back