Ciaglia Method

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope you don’t mind me posting mine here @Jersey Girl since I didn’t want to start a new thread and we are not allowed to post them in the soapy thing thread any more:

Attachments

• FF2E4495-D445-4288-8BFA-091A2F431C88.jpeg
    FF2E4495-D445-4288-8BFA-091A2F431C88.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FA221377-01D7-41C3-890D-FF95F745C35D.jpeg
    FA221377-01D7-41C3-890D-FF95F745C35D.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 0
Hope you don’t mind me posting mine here @Jersey Girl since I didn’t want to start a new thread and we are not allowed to post them in the soapy thing thread any more:
It makes sense to me to post your pics here. I hope more members post them here where we can see everyone's results. I'm liking the look so much I'm tempted to give it go!

How come this is a new method? You tuber Tellervo shared this method over a year ago on her channel and it's how I've done some of my re-batching since.

Because Fabio Ciaglia used or at least was recognized as using it first. See this YouTube video from 3 years ago in which he is credited for creating the technique.

You can translate to English (or whatever language you prefer) via the settings (gear button) in youtube. If you want to read the comments in another language, you can use whatever translation app/addon/whatever that your browser supports.

ETA: This method was also attributed to Singore Fabio Ciaglia in this blog (also can be translated) in March 2019, which shows the method was known to international soapmakers 3 years ago.

https://seifenbar.blogspot.com/2019/03/erfahrungsbericht-die-ciaglia-methode.html
Apparently Singnore Ciaglia it well known in the soapmaking world in Italy and Europe, and has now become known to us as well via this method.

Last edited:
I didn't know this technique of using shreds had a name! My favorite confetti. I can use more shreds and have less chance of air bubbles; plus I like the textured surface.

I have had problems recognizing trace. That was because 1) I SB the shreds in the oils but was busy and didn't add the lye/water for 10-15 minutes. and 2) I added shreds spritzed with water. In both cases the oil/softer shreds had an opaque look and resembled a thin soap batter. It made it very difficult to understand trace after I added the lye/water. So no dawdling and no spritzing shreds with water and it is easy.

How come this is a new method?
Welllll... it's new to me, for one! :nodding:
Since my early days of soapmaking, when I joined an online forum in 2004, always the perfectionist (recovering now :)), I rebatched so many sbatches that I was known as the Rebatch Queen!

I'm excited to try this technique! Thank you to all for sharing this method and for sharing your experience.

TIPS before starting (from the list of equpment needed):

Crafter's Choice™ Regular Loaf Silicone Mold 1501

Buy on Amazon - $33
Buy 1 on WSP - $26 + FREE Shipping
Buy 5 on WSP - $22 each

This is what I use. I bought 4 of these molds when I could no longer manage my large batch wooden molds that became too heavy for me to lift. I would recommend the 5-mold bundle, if you can afford it, to make several batches of soap the same day. TIP: Grease the mold lightly with mineral oil for easy-release and a smooth top.

The 1501 silicone mold holds 40 - 44 oz soap
To fill the mold to the very top, I use 30 oz oils.
30 oz oils X a factor of 1.37 = 41 oz soap (approximately)

To figure the amount of oils to add to a third of the shreds:

Divide 42 oz finished soap by 3 = 14 oz shreds
42 oz finished soap - 14 oz shreds = 28 oz finished soap
28 oz. finish soap divided by a factor of 1.37 = 20.4 oz oils
20.4 oz oils X 1.37 = 28 oz soap + 14 oz shreds = 42 oz soap.

ETA: Edited 8/25 to correct formula. NOTE: I used 42 oz soap for easier calculation. I may or may not have leftover soap.

ZANY NOTES:

Kaolin Clay & Colloidal Oats - Optional (JMHO)
Sub Oat Flour for a less expensive option available locally.
Batter may fill all the way to the corners without those ingredients.*
See “rough” corners toward the end of the video. Reduce waste. (?)

Shredding:
Invest in a PRESTO SALAD SHOOTER. Spare your knuckles!

Last edited:
How come this is a new method? You tuber Tellervo shared this method over a year ago on her channel and it's how I've done some of my re-batching since.
You can translate to English (or whatever language you prefer) via the settings (gear button) in youtube. If you want to read the comments in another language, you can use whatever translation app/addon/whatever that your browser supports.

ETA: This method was also attributed to Singore Fabio Ciaglia in this blog (also can be translated) in March 2019, which shows the method was known to international soapmakers 3 years ago.

https://seifenbar.blogspot.com/2019/03/erfahrungsbericht-die-ciaglia-methode.html
Apparently Singnore Ciaglia it well known in the soapmaking world in Italy and Europe, and has now become known to us as well via this method.
I actually found a document he shared in a fb group 2017, I found it while I was researching the technique earlier this year. I think different techniques are discovered by experimentation by different soap makers at any time, whether they publish them or not is a different thing but it usually influences who gets credited for them. Here is the link in case you want to see it in written form.

Last edited:
Well, it is like the 100th monkey theory, isn't it? And it goes to show that often rather than something completely new, often they are simply re-discovered and/or altered to some degree to make it more workable. Before I knew there even was a thing called 'confetti soap' I used to call mine 'old & new' soap; I later learned it already had a name. I also at least once SB'd the shreds into the oils before adding the lye, but that did not seem to be a unique idea to me, and it never occured to me that it was a 'technique' as I was so busy trying to save a ruined soap, nothing else mattered. Also, I did none of those calculations that Ciaglia mentions in that 2017 FB post that @glendam linked, so in no way can I claim I actually used his method before knowing about it, either. So I suppose I am not one of the monkeys in the 100th monkey theory here, since the percentage of trimmings in relation to the batch oils did not cross my mind.

I actually found a document he shared in a fb group 2017, I found it while I was researching the technique earlier this year. I think different techniques are discovered by experimentation by different soap makers at any time, whether they publish them or not is a different thing but it usually influences who gets credited for them. Here is the link in case you want to see it in written form.
I was interested in reading about it but for some reason the link doesn't work for me, I get a "not found" error. Is it still available?

@melonpan Initially the link seemed to have been blocked so I inserted it in the phrase “here is the link” above, that one seems to work after once logs into a fb account. (Though initially it gives a message saying the link is not found or Broken but above that gave me a login option). But I do wonder if you have to be a member of the group (Saponification nation) to see it? It was shared within that group.

Seems like way too complicated of a way to make a "confetti" soap. And I have concerns about how lye-heavy this soap is going to be.

In a 'standard' Confetti Soap, you weigh your scraps and then subtract them from your total batch weight. You then prepare your oil, add your Lye Solution, add your scraps, blend, pour.

With this technique you're subtracting the total weight of the scraps from the oils, but you're still using the regular amount of Lye and Water.

Example, my 10" Loaf Mold holds 50 oz; at a Lye Concentration of 33%, 5% SuperFat, 1 oz PPO for Scent I would need 34 oz Oils, 9.54 oz Water, 4.7 oz Lye (50.36 oz). So this technique has me using 30% of my Oil Weight or 10.2 oz Scraps, 23.8 oz Oils, 9.54 oz Water, 4.7 oz Lye. Since the Scraps are already saponified, I would then be using more Lye than I need. Or did I miss/not understand something?

Seems to me that the biggest part of the technique involved the sizing of the scraps and that the smaller size is achieved by blending them in with the oils instead of the batter. But it also creates a problem with determining emulsion and thickens you batter. So why not just run the scraps through a food processer or if you don't have one, put them in a zip lock bag and beat them with a rolling pin?

ETA: This is my Confetti Soap. This was made from from the Rainbow Soaps. I didn't actually 'shred' the soap, just ran the rounds through the planner after the had cured really well and they were so dry that they just turned into 'bits'. I then made a 'standard" Confetti Soap.

Back