Ciaglia & Confetti Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My goal this month is to completely obliterate a big stockpile of soap shreds I‘ve accumulated over the last six months. It’s been an opportunity to use up FOs that have been sitting around for too long, experiment with color palettes and also try to make designs with batter at medium to thicker trace. The confetti soap marathon hasn’t started yet, but I’m thinking tomorrow is the day. First I need time to wash a lot of soapy dishes from yesterday. For all of the Ciaglia method soaps, I used shreds at 30% weight of fats, heated the fats for each batch to 150F, added the shreds, stick blended a bit and then let the mixture sit for a few hours to help soften the shreds. The base recipe has 25% lard and 25% tallow and is normally very slow to trace. The fat/shred mix was usually 120F when I added room temperature (70F) lye. I’ve made Ciaglia type soaps using a 40% lye concentration, but decided that it’s easier to use 33% with this method. Depending on the FO, I had everything from pourable batter to significant acceleration, but did not experience totally unmanageable soap on a stick. All of the shreds for the Ciaglia soaps were from a light grey batch of soap made with indigo.

7F5DA5C4-2044-4245-95A4-6ABEEE881FF3.jpeg
This one is a spoon plop, scented with the tail end of some NS Comfort & Joy and another apple-scented FO from a supplier that has gone out of business. I held back a bit on stick blending because I knew I wanted to divide the soap and add colors. As a result, the batter is not as smooth as some of the others.

A95BE78F-C520-4EF0-828F-0CD81AF49B30.jpeg
Ciaglia throughout, with some neon colored cubes added to the bottom layer and a small amount of finely chopped shreds added to the color splits in the top half. The top soap was at medium trace when I layered it in a pitcher for a OPW type pour. This was a four bar batch scented with the tail end of a bottle of NS Awaken. The bottom and top don’t exactly go together, but I was at the tail end of the masterbatched fats and needed to add the extra confetti to match the volume to the test mold.

33F5E599-E0EA-4C37-AAF7-030F51DFB5AA.jpeg
OMG, this batch accelerated like crazy possibly because I started with the temp closer to 130F. I had to use my gloved hands to jam the play dough consistency soap into the mold. The scent is NS 8th & Ocean, again from the tail end of a bottle. It’s an odd scent choice for the color palette, but a lot of my soapy people like the scent and I wanted to use it up. If I do this color scheme again (denim-ish) I will probably use patchouli or a mint blend, or give me your scent suggestions!

73B93A99-8D4B-472D-9686-F966A24DAA14.jpeg
An easy peasy soap, scented with BB’s Fierce type, which discolors to purple(?) and colored with NS Kashmir blended with grey for a dusky blue shade. The shreds were stick blended in the oils on and off for 4-5 minutes before I added the lye. It looked grey in the bowl, but is getting bluer every minute. The batter was at a light medium trace when I poured it.

D011279A-C079-4419-B1DA-898E8A2DD976.jpeg
Another easy, peasy soap scented with BB’s Lush Succulent. I probably should have used the 8th & Ocean in this one. I’ve had the turtle stamp for at least two years and have never(?) used it. I love the stamp with this color.

Last edited:
I've only made one Confetti soap; mostly to cross it off the 'techniques' list since...horror upon horror...I usually just toss my trimmings. But since I have switched to 5lb molds...I usually have more trimmings and so if the soap is still malleable, I'll squeeze them into a ball and use it as kitchen soap.

Oh my, @Mobjack Bay ! These are extraordinary! Such beautiful soaps. I had no idea it was possible to do such beautiful deigns with ciaglia. Love your work. 😍
Thank you. ❤️ I’m so glad you like them. You can see that I’m trying to get a little braver with colors 😂

I’m glad @dibbles suggested 30% shreds in the Ciaglia method thread when I asked about making bigger batches because 30% shreds is also working better for making designs relative to 40% shreds. Compared with 40% lye concentration, 33% definitely helps to keep the batter pourable. I can make layers when I use 40% lye concentration and 40% shreds, but there’s not enough fluidity for even simple design work. I also think the combination of using 30% shreds, warming the shreds in the oil and stick blending them fine before adding any liquids or the lye solution is worth the effort. I will caution that I have to use the stick blender in pulses so it doesn’t overheat while I’m using it to chop the shreds ever finer. Other than the one example above, adding the FO to warm batter hasn’t caused problems, but I haven’t used any known accelerating FOs with this method. More water might help with an FO issue, but I haven’t tried that strategy yet.

Loving all the different variations of colours and design! The one with the red section is such an interesting colour combo.
I've taken a few notes as I have this technique on my list to try and get rid of some transparent soap I did a while back, which is just too harsh for me to use on its own.

On a side note, I was just looking at the first soap and it just lit a bulb for me. There's a soap design I'd love to try but I wasn't quite sure how to do it, and I think it is the same as your first "spoon and plop" soap 🥳

Thank you @melonpan ❤️ The spoon plop design is a good one to have in the back pocket for those times when the batter is too thick for some of the swirled designs. Here’s a tutorial:

https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-...s-soap/creamy-cow-milk-cold-process-tutorial/
Added bonus!

The leftover soap from the accelerated batch has an acceptable soap dough consistency this morning. The soap been sitting in a closed container since I finished up the Ciaglia marathon.

9D870BDC-43DC-4711-BCF9-3A2E6C5AAF53.jpeg

I made the purple by mixing a tiny bit of NS Cabaret mica powder directly into the soap. For the pink and orange balls, I added a small amount of neon colorants leftover from Saturday. They were already dispersed in olive oil. The blue grey is from one of the original color splits. Cutting artifacts aside, look at how smooth that blue dough looks. To my eye, it looks like the added soap bits have all but lost their identity.

Last edited:
Reporting back on the confetti marathon, which expanded to include some confetti/ciaglia hybrid soaps and my first serious attempts at rebatch. They’re all ways to make less than perfect soap better!

EF12F093-291C-4BE5-A6A3-D7004F815823.jpeg
I think I will call this one “Blackberry Jumble.” I made it with a whopping amount of shreds (50% of total batch weight, TBW). It’s scented with BeScented’s BRV and the flower was made with leftover batter that had a texture approaching that of soap dough.

D3EAE040-5F69-42CD-BDF4-0C45FFD653FB.jpeg
Another one made by cramming soap shreds into the batter. The scent is a blend of NS Awaken, NS Champagne, and a little splash of orange and ginger eos. Tropical Mimosa, anyone?! It smells amazing!

9131FF85-B2DF-40C7-A6EA-70EF5812BC8C.jpeg
A hybrid, with confetti on top and Ciaglia method on the bottom. I intentionally left some speckles in the bottom layer for interest. This one has an eo-based citrus scent, with just a hint of basil.

962BC76E-90AA-4168-89C7-7E9F3169B1F5.jpeg
I used shreds at the rate of 30% of oil weight for this one and didn’t add them until after the lye was added. My lard and tallow recipe is really slow and it was almost effortless to make the layers for this soap even though I used a 40% lye concentration. I even managed to make a last minute ITP-ish type swirl for the sky with the confetti laden batter. This one is scented with BB Sea Salt blended with a little NS 8th & Ocean that amps up the melon and knocks down the seaweed in the Sea Salt FO. I wish I had thought to do a little skewer swirl between the two blue layers. I guess that’s for next time.

2E519BF6-91B0-4850-B154-F945E6DFDA4C.jpeg
My first ever whipped soap and it’s made from rebatched shreds. It whipped like a dream, smells like roses, and it floats! I usually take showers, but this one calls for testing in a bath.

B7ADAE4F-7D99-4D73-B49E-97B5BBEB0E24.jpeg
Believe it or not, this soap also floats! It’s another batch of rebatched shreds colored with AC and scented with tea tree eo. The underlying base was colored with alkanet, but it was quite pale and is not contributing to the color except in the few shreds you can see here and there. I pushed a plastic impression mat made for clay down on the top of the soap in the foreground before I stamped both soaps with rubber stamps.

OMG, despite two weeks of concerted effort, I still have shreds. On the upside, I also have perfectly fine soap to give away and have gotten past my dread of recycling.

Reporting back on the confetti marathon, which expanded to include some confetti/ciaglia hybrid soaps and my first serious attempts at rebatch. They’re all ways to make less than perfect soap better!

View attachment 70646
I think I will call this one “Blackberry Jumble.” I made it with a whopping amount of shreds (50% of total batch weight, TBW). It’s scented with BeScented’s BRV and the flower was made with leftover batter that had a texture approaching that of soap dough.

View attachment 70647
Another one made by cramming soap shreds into the batter. The scent is a blend of NS Awaken, NS Champagne, and a little splash of orange and ginger eos. Tropical Mimosa, anyone?! It smells amazing!

View attachment 70648
A hybrid, with confetti on top and Ciaglia method on the bottom. I intentionally left some speckles in the bottom layer for interest. This one has an eo-based citrus scent, with just a hint of basil.

View attachment 70649
I used shreds at the rate of 30% of oil weight for this one and didn’t add them until after the lye was added. My lard and tallow recipe is really slow and it was almost effortless to make the layers for this soap even though I used a 40% lye concentration. I even managed to make a last minute ITP-ish type swirl for the sky with the confetti laden batter. This one is scented with BB Sea Salt blended with a little NS 8th & Ocean that amps up the melon and knocks down the seaweed in the Sea Salt FO. I wish I had thought to do a little skewer swirl between the two blue layers. I guess that’s for next time.

View attachment 70650
My first ever whipped soap and it’s made from rebatched shreds. It whipped like a dream, smells like roses, and it floats! I usually take showers, but this one calls for testing in a bath.

View attachment 70653
Believe it or not, this soap also floats! It’s another batch of rebatched shreds colored with AC and scented with tea tree eo. The underlying base was colored with alkanet, but it was quite pale and is not contributing to the color except in the few shreds you can see here and there. I pushed a plastic impression mat made for clay down on the top of the soap in the foreground before I stamped both soaps with rubber stamps.

OMG, despite two weeks of concerted effort, I still have shreds. On the upside, I also have perfectly fine soap to give away and have gotten past my dread of recycling.
Soooooo gorgeous! All of them! I wish I had lots of soap shreds so I could make more like this.

I am loving the turtle stamp soap ... so simple and elegant 😍
(truly they are all beautiful ... I can't believe you still have shreds left!!)

I am loving the turtle stamp soap ... so simple and elegant 😍
(truly they are all beautiful ... I can't believe you still have shreds left!!)
Thanks @Marsi ❤️ I did a lot of testing with natural colorants this summer, mostly as 450 g batches so I could get a good gel to judge the color. When I’m not happy with the color they end up in the shred pile. Plus, confetti never goes away. I make a confetti soap and end up with more trimmings for confetti!

As usual, I am in awe of your soaps, @Mobjack Bay. They are all gorgeous. As I scrolled through, I kept hearing myself say "ooh, that's my favorite" then I'd see the next one and say
"ooh, that's my favorite." Lather, rinse, repeat, as they used to say on the shampoo labels years ago.

Latest posts

Back