Chunks in my lye solution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My project tonight is Zanys no slime castille, which is going to double as my string pull challenge this month.

Made the distilled water/sea salt/baking soda solution earlier. So now im ready to soap. I added my usual amt of sugar, added my lye and it turned dark like beer, then fizzy and started forming clumps on top. It was getting REALLY fizzy...enough that i got nervous and put gloves on (i normally dont when just mixing the lye water).

So ok, the water was at room temp to start, so i decided that was the problem and figured this batch is going to be drain cleaner.

I made a new batch, but this time i put the measured out water in the freezer to chill (added a little sugar, but not as much as i normally do). Ensured that everything is mixed/dissolved the whole way...

This second is normal color, but still has floating lumps in it. Looks like wax. Its not the lye itself. The container is half gone as i have made a few batches out of it already.

The first batch of lye has since calmed down, but its still a little foamy on top and still has chunks. It was pretty scary in the beginning. It was like you took a can of beer and dumped it in a glass all at once. I had to keep stirring to keep it at bay.

As i am typing this, i keep going back and stirring and they seem to be dissolving a little, but they are still there. Maybe the baking soda??

0E60D8C1-219B-4C83-B0EA-BAE25E05323F.jpeg

I kept stirring until they mostly dissolved. Never had this before so i got nervous. I did strain it, some of them made it through, but i didnt notice it in the batter at all.

Keeping my fingers crossed

Good to know. Thank you. I still have the first lye solution. But i think im going to still use it for drain cleaner, cause im not doing another castile any time soon lol.

One of my first soaps were castile, and i HATE them. They are close to six months old now. I keep trying to like them lol. Not only are they slimey, they just have zero bubbles. Hopefully these with the sugar and castor make them more likable.

Thanks for reporting on this. I have a modified ZNSC on my Try List and appreciate not being ambushed by foaming brown lye water.
LOL - I said nothing about foaming and brown - that's all Kim and her sugar antics! It does go cloudy though so don't be alarmed about that. @Catscankim I use the 85OO/10CO/5Castor version and mine has great bubbles! No sugar needed.

LOL - I said nothing about foaming and brown - that's all Kim and her sugar antics! It does go cloudy though so don't be alarmed about that. @Catscankim I use the 85OO/10CO/5Castor version and mine has great bubbles! No sugar needed.
Yup, sorry, should have made it clear that I was responding to Kim, since I also use sugar. 😆

So ok, the water was at room temp to start, so i decided that was the problem and figured this batch is going to be drain cleaner.
For what it's worth, I make my faux sea water and keep it in the fridge until I'm ready to soap. (I actually do that with all my soaps. That's the way I was taught to do it.) I'm sorry I can't be more help. I don't use sugar in my lye water but I know others have, without incident as far as I know. Thanks for posting this. Good to know! :thumbs:
I use the 85 OO/10 CO/5 Castor version and mine has great bubbles! No sugar needed.
Me too! 😁

Back