Christmas Tree!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
🥰
Where is the finished tree !
Here ya go:
A3E24E38-5174-4ADC-831E-094AC41AB7A9.jpeg

This just made my day after a particularly stressful one! So jealous of the sunshine at 10 p.m. And those puppers! What are their names? Merry Christmas to you,

This just made my day after a particularly stressful one! So jealous of the sunshine at 10 p.m. And those puppers! What are their names? Merry Christmas to you,
I would love to say that is was sunny at 10pm - but the sun goes down here at around 9.15pm. I think it was 7pm at night when I shot the video. Molly and Maggie are our girls' names. 🐶🐶

KiwiMoose, what is your spice red cabbage recipe?

Cooked smashed Lentils & Oats can help bind the vegan meatloaf. Or mashed garbanzos (chickpeas) will do it as well. Ground Flax will also work to bind the ingredients. But too much flax has some digestive side-effects, so take care not to overdo with the flax seeds. Another method is to incorporate the other ingredients into seitan and knead it all into the seitan as you would normally knead seitan, thus creating the binding agent via the gluten. That is if you are okay with gluten.

Cooked smashed Lentils & Oats can help bind the vegan meatloaf. Or mashed garbanzos (chickpeas) will do it as well. Ground Flax will also work to bind the ingredients. But too much flax has some digestive side-effects, so take care not to overdo with the flax seeds. Another method is to incorporate the other ingredients into seitan and knead it all into the seitan as you would normally knead seitan, thus creating the binding agent via the gluten. That is if you are okay with gluten.
We had tons leftover because all my boring-taste-palate family said it was too fragrant, lol!
Slice red onions and sauté in a little butter, add your red cabbage and a finely sliced apple or two (depending on how much you're making - I used 1 apple to half a red cabbage). You might need to add a little more butter and keep stirring so it doesn't stick. Once it has all softened down a bit, add finely grated rind of one orange and a generous squeeze of the juice (I ate the rest of the orange!), a splash of port or sherry, a splash of balsamic vinegar, a heaped tsp of brown sugar, and a teaspoon of mixed spice ( I guess you might call it pumpkin spice?). Give it all a good stir and then cover and simmer over a very low heat for about half an hour to an hour. Really nice with pork, chicken or turkey.

Sounds great, KiwiMoose. I pretty much love anything with a dash or more of balsamic. And a bit of orange rind, the juice and some sliced apple would certainly add a certain sweetness. I'm wondering if Allspice is the same as your Mixed Spice. Allspice is a mix of cinnamon, clove & nutmeg.

Next time I'm at the grocer, I will be sure to pick up a red cabbage.

And I have a new vegan chicken recipe I want to try, so maybe I can do them together.

Speaking of new recipes, my SIL made the most delicious Jerusalem Artichoke & Brussel Sprout salad, as well as a supply of Jerusalem Artichokes, which I plan to plant in one of my raised garden beds after the snow melts. Now that I have a recipe for a dish using them, I will grow them. Before when she gave me some, I didn't plant them because I had not discovered a recipe that showcased them so well & how much I could utilize them in cooking. And I want to try Jerusalem Artichoke soup as well, so the fact that they grow prolifically and will probably fill the garden bed quickly is a good thing. I make a lot of soup, and having a potato replacement in my own back yard will be fabulous.

Your pups are gorgeous, BTW as is/was your tree.

It's those two items that bind it. It's essentially chopped mushroom and and grated carrot with herbs and onion etc, bound in an egg mixture with grated cheese and then baked. I wonder if you could do something with chick-pea water as a binder?
[/QUOTE.
Thank You, I think I’ll be able to substitute

G

[/QUOTE
Good substitutes, thanks

Sounds great, KiwiMoose. I pretty much love anything with a dash or more of balsamic. And a bit of orange rind, the juice and some sliced apple would certainly add a certain sweetness. I'm wondering if Allspice is the same as your Mixed Spice. Allspice is a mix of cinnamon, clove & nutmeg.

Next time I'm at the grocer, I will be sure to pick up a red cabbage.

And I have a new vegan chicken recipe I want to try, so maybe I can do them together.

Speaking of new recipes, my SIL made the most delicious Jerusalem Artichoke & Brussel Sprout salad, as well as a supply of Jerusalem Artichokes, which I plan to plant in one of my raised garden beds after the snow melts. Now that I have a recipe for a dish using them, I will grow them. Before when she gave me some, I didn't plant them because I had not discovered a recipe that showcased them so well & how much I could utilize them in cooking. And I want to try Jerusalem Artichoke soup as well, so the fact that they grow prolifically and will probably fill the garden bed quickly is a good thing. I make a lot of soup, and having a potato replacement in my own back yard will be fabulous.

Your pups are gorgeous, BTW as is/was your tree.
That reminds me - Roger made a really nice salad with farro (search the italian grocery) roast pumpkin, brussels sprouts, roast walnuts, dried cranberries for Xmas day - would recommend that too!

Alas - it has eggs and cheese :-(
They have some awesome vegan eggs now in the states. The Just Egg...seriously blew my mind (and I'm not even a vegan anymore...so it's not like ~vegan tongue~ or whatever...it actually tastes and is textured like egg)! Cheese substitutes are still evolving, but are readily available here as well.

Not a vegan either, but I am allergic to dairy (not just lactose intolerant). If you are looking for vegan cheese replaceements, the VioLife cheese brand is AAHHHHH-mazing. Their feta tastes so good! Their cheddar and mozzarella aren't quite as authentic tasting, but are by far the best that I've tasted, especially compared to Daiya, which is horrible to me. VioLife cheeses made with nuts though, which can be problematic for some. Available at Whole Foods.

Back