Christmas Soaps etc?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m making soap and either shampoo bars or surfactant body bars.

I started thinking about making a couple Christmas soaps last week, but looked on Pinterest (haven’t been there in years!) and the sight of all those highly artistic, takes-two-days-to-make, fancy bars completely deflated my confidence. Banned myself from that site.
soo...I’m left to my own limited creative ideas.

I do have one green and white Frosted Birch and Juniper soap done as I absolutely love that fo! It’s just a basic itp and drop swirl.

I really struggle with swirls. BUT I have a lot of clear M&P. So I've decided no swirls...I'm going to pour at emulsion for a nice, flat, smooth top, then I'm going to mix micas with M&P and do a fun drizzle. I'm going to do a mint chocolate soap and drizzle the top with pale green mica and with brown mica. Even if the soap turns brown, I think it will be nice looking.

One struggle I'm having now is packaging. No idea where my shrink wrap baggies have gone...might just be naked bars in a lunch sack.

Am I horrible because I don't really give soap for Christmas? Although last year we did the saran wrap ball challenge for the kids and I did throw in a couple of lip balms because I was running out of ideas for what to put in it. Otherwise my family doesn't do gifts for grownups, just the kids get gifts. Although this year with the number of early teen girls that we have, I may do a scrub lotion sets them... but no soap.

Am I horrible because I don't really give soap for Christmas? Although last year we did the saran wrap ball challenge for the kids and I did throw in a couple of lip balms because I was running out of ideas for what to put in it. Otherwise my family doesn't do gifts for grownups, just the kids get gifts. Although this year with the number of early teen girls that we have, I may do a scrub lotion sets them... but no soap.

Horrible? No. Weird....yeah, I think so lol. What do you do with all of your uglies?

I like to give a gift baggie at work, I have about 30 co-workers. So I try to give at least half "good" (pretty) and half "bad" (ugly or the scent morphed or faded, etc). I actually have made soap in over a year (things kept getting in the way) so last year I was REALLY scraping the bottom of the soap stash.

My brother bought soap online. I'm so embarrassed.

I don't really gove soap as gifts either. Seems like most my family just keep them around for decoration.
This year I'm making white, ivory soap scented. Maybe they will actually get used.

I do need to make something spicy, maybe the ginger bread cookie scent for my oldest daughter and some anise for a nephew.

Well, my only deliberate Christmas soap is the Christmas Sunrise soap. But I also just give soap for feedback to my tiny test group already, so I'm probably not going to give much soap as gifts, per se.
To be honest, I'm probably going to do body butter, lip balm, and bath bomb. I can only trust a few people to actually use soap instead of assuming it's immortal and decorating with it. And juries out on the bath bombs, those can tend to become immortal decoration as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20201004_234508.jpg
    IMG_20201004_234508.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 31
I'm giving a few soaps (one per person for each family unit) and probably a good sized body butter for each family.
@AliOop how do you make your beard oils, if I may ask? We have quite a few bearded men in the family who would like something like this.

I'm giving a few soaps (one per person for each family unit) and probably a good sized body butter for each family.
@AliOop how do you make your beard oils, if I may ask? We have quite a few bearded men in the family who would like something like this.
My base is equal parts of jojoba, argan, and meadowfoam seed oil. You could use just one or two of those if you wanted, or other percentages. Sweet almond is another nice one.

I scent mine with EO blends from EOCalc.com and use their calculator to determine a skin-safe amount. You can also use FOs that are approved for direct skin and hair application.

For packaging, I like the blue or amber small glass bottles with either a dropper top or pump top. For mailing, the dropper tops seem easier to secure against spillage. I normally wrap electrical tape around the top, like the FO distributors do.

My base is equal parts of jojoba, argan, and meadowfoam seed oil. You could use just one or two of those if you wanted, or other percentages. Sweet almond is another nice one.

I scent mine with EO blends from EOCalc.com and use their calculator to determine a skin-safe amount. You can also use FOs that are approved for direct skin and hair application.

For packaging, I like the blue or amber small glass bottles with either a dropper top or pump top. For mailing, the dropper tops seem easier to secure against spillage. I normally wrap electrical tape around the top, like the FO distributors do.

Thank you SO much! I really do appreciate it!

I have 4 Christmas soaps this year which I've posted here before but I'll bore folks again with pics because @dixiedragon asked for it. I have tried for 20 minutes to get the one photo right side up but alas (really, the one is a Christmas tree shape -- not a Christmas fern! :) ). I've got from top left (or bottom right?) going clockwise:
- peppermint cocoa, scented with, guess what EO
- Napoleon Cremes, inspired by Mrs. Zing's famous holiday 3 layer bar, unscented
- O Christmas Tree (scented with woodsy EOs), bar and tree-molds for the kiddos in our lives
- Gold, Frankincense & Myrrh (gold mica, scented with, guess what?)

I force my gifts on everyone I know! Except this year my family (sibs and Dad), like @amd , has agreed that the adults won't exchange gifts so my friends will get even more. Gotta make sure everyone is WASHING THEIR HANDS!! Because, you know, COVID-19!!!

#Is2020OverYet?

Attachments

• 20201023_194836.jpg
    20201023_194836.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20201023_194734A.jpg
    20201023_194734A.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 39
I normally give gift packs of my products but this year we are staying home and im soooo excited, Driving 150 miles to be in a crowded house with 30 holidays stressed inlaws for the past 29 years was too much. This year Covid was a great(and real) excuse to skip it.

I’m hoping to copy a soap @Misschief made last year. That’s if I can get my soap making self in gear to make some soap. As I recall, it was a pale blue base with a softly swirled white top with white snowflakes and possibly glitter sprinkled on top. I bought the little mold to make the snowflakes last year and now here it is almost the end of October and I haven’t made the soap.

Latest posts

Back