Christmas is Tight This Year

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
My dear friends,

Some what embarrassing to admit, I'm not getting an annual bonus and Christmas is tight this year. I will be making bedroom slippers for you all as gifts. Please let me know your sizes. You'll most likely agree that it's a splendid idea, and should you wish to do the same, I've included the instructions below.

HOW TO MAKE BEDROOM SLIPPERS OUT OF MAXI PADS:

You need four maxi pads to make a pair.
Two of them get laid out flat, for the foot part.
The other two wrap around the toe area to form the top.
Tape or glue each side of the top pieces to the bottom of the foot part.

Decorate the tops with whatever you desire, silk flowers (this is most aesthetically appealing), etc.

These slippers are:
* Soft and Hygienic
* Non-slip grip strips on the soles
* Built in deodorant feature keeps feet smelling fresh
* No more bending over to mop up spills
* Disposable and biodegradable
* Environmentally safe

* Three convenient sizes: (1.) Regular, (2.) Light and (3.) Get out the Sand Bags.

Awaiting your response. It's crucial that I get the right size for each one of you.

Last edited:
At the risk of being TMI (too much information) for some --

A few of you might remember the days, as I do, when pads didn't come with adhesive. You wore a little elastic dohicky thingy and the pad clipped onto that just like old fashioned stockings clip onto a girdle. The whole system was awkward, inconvenient, not overly secure, and, to a shy teen, utterly humiliating. I badgered my mother until she finally agreed to show me how to use tampons. Unless I had to wear a pad for medical reasons or if utterly nothing else was available, I never wore one again, even when adhesive made them more convenient and secure.

So I guess I'll pass, Zany, and will have to go barefoot this winter. I'd not stand the sight of those things, even as gag-gift slippers! ;)

A few of you might remember the days, as I do, when pads didn't come with adhesive. You wore a little elastic dohicky thingy and the pad clipped onto that just like old fashioned stockings clip onto a girdle. The whole system was awkward, inconvenient, not overly secure, and, to a shy teen, utterly humiliating. I badgered my mother until she finally agreed to show me how to use tampons. Unless I had to wear a pad for medical reasons or if utterly nothing else was available, I never wore one again, even when adhesive made them more convenient and secure.

So I guess I'll pass, Zany, and will have to go barefoot this winter. I'd not stand the sight of those things, even as gag-gift slippers! ;)

Oh Dee, I remember that "system" only too well! I thought I had forgotten, but your mention of it brought it screeching back to the front of my brain, no matter how hard I may try to shove it back. It's one of those things we forget when we talk about the good old days! :Kitten Love::crazy::smallno:

A few of you might remember the days, as I do, when pads didn't come with adhesive. You wore a little elastic dohicky thingy and the pad clipped onto that just like old fashioned stockings clip onto a girdle. The whole system was awkward, inconvenient, not overly secure, and, to a shy teen, utterly humiliating.

Utterly humiliating is right! OMG! Shortly before my mom discovered the adhesive maxis, I was taught how to use the belt. Being a "Tom boy" I learned the hard way that those horse saddle sized pads could shift into the most embarrassing positions when you're wearing shorts and doing things like squatting to shoot marbles or climbing fences!
Fun post but I think I'll pass on those slippers too lol!

A few of you might remember the days, as I do, when pads didn't come with adhesive. You wore a little elastic dohicky thingy and the pad clipped onto that just like old fashioned stockings clip onto a girdle. The whole system was awkward, inconvenient, not overly secure, and, to a shy teen, utterly humiliating.

GAH! I remember those torture devices! Made me want to stay home from school and hide in the house!

And what did ladies do for Incontinence Pads way back when? I'd ask my mom if she knew, but she's dead and her mom never even told her about getting her period before it happened. She thought she was dying! It was her older sister who had to teach her what to do when it happened. Talk about Victorian! These topics were forboden. So none of the ladies in my mother's family would have ever discussed this with her. No one told her what to expect in menopause either, and when my doctor asked me how my mother's menopausal course went, I could not answer because she never mentioned it to me. And when I asked her she said she didn't remember anything about it. So I was also in the dark. If have no reservations talking about it now, but since I have no daughters, my experience is not very pertinent to anyone else, although I have let my DIL know this information will be important to my granddaughter one day and that it's something she needs to share with her because her experience is pertinent to her daughter.

And what did ladies do for Incontinence Pads way back when? I'd ask my mom if she knew, but she's dead and her mom never even told her about getting her period before it happened. She thought she was dying! It was her older sister who had to teach her what to do when it happened. Talk about Victorian! These topics were forboden. So none of the ladies in my mother's family would have ever discussed this with her. No one told her what to expect in menopause either, and when my doctor asked me how my mother's menopausal course went, I could not answer because she never mentioned it to me. And when I asked her she said she didn't remember anything about it. So I was also in the dark. If have no reservations talking about it now, but since I have no daughters, my experience is not very pertinent to anyone else, although I have let my DIL know this information will be important to my granddaughter one day and that it's something she needs to share with her because her experience is pertinent to her daughter.

I wrote out a "family medical history" for each child with dates (if known) for everything. It goes back to my grandmother.

I have my own horrifying memories of that stage of life from the 70's. And the shame I felt for being female. The secrets, whispers, etc....

Have you heard of the Sisterhood educational program? (or is it only in CA?) The local Girl Scout leader invited our girl to the Sisterhood seminar sponsored at her house, but led by a former nurse with a great sense of humor and understanding of tween girls. What a wonderfully positive experience it was for her! She learned about the changes happening, what will happen, how to deal with it, talk about it. The mothers are there (or fathers if that is what the girl prefers), they are allowed to leave, rejoin, leave again - what ever they want at any time. Reproduction was included at the end - and again - the girls decide how much they want to learn.

She left there smiling and proud! Now enjoys making sure there are feminine products stashed all through out the house!

I have my own horrifying memories of that stage of life from the 70's. And the shame I felt for being female. The secrets, whispers, etc....

Have you heard of the Sisterhood educational program? (or is it only in CA?) The local Girl Scout leader invited our girl to the Sisterhood seminar sponsored at her house, but led by a former nurse with a great sense of humor and understanding of tween girls. What a wonderfully positive experience it was for her! She learned about the changes happening, what will happen, how to deal with it, talk about it. The mothers are there (or fathers if that is what the girl prefers), they are allowed to leave, rejoin, leave again - what ever they want at any time. Reproduction was included at the end - and again - the girls decide how much they want to learn.

She left there smiling and proud! Now enjoys making sure there are feminine products stashed all through out the house!

That sounds like a wonderful program. Some things have definitely changed for the better. I remember my mother gave me a pamphlet, I can still see the title on the cover..."Crossing the Threshold". So dramatic. I would NEVER have mentioned my period to my father. I think we both would have been horrified. lol And I remember a bra commercial with women wearing bras over their clothing, because they couldn't show a woman wearing a bra. And oh, the commotion when a "divorcee" moved into the neighborhood. It all seems so silly now.

oh boy, I am that old!

Zany is this post for real? Or am I being naïve and you are joking?

Back