Christmas Green

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdc1978

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a good christmas green color, I think I'd like something like a forest green, but not too too dark since my colors tend to darken when they go through gel phase. I've looked at MadMicas, Brambleberry and Nurture Soap, and I just don't see anything I'd really love. There is a woodland matte color on Bulk Apothecary that looks right, but the website says it goes pastel in a white batter, and my batter is generally pretty light, and i don't want a pastel.

Any help is appreciated! TYIA!

Green is my favorite color and I haven’t found a grass or Christmas green I really like. I suggest buying a few, and mixing them.

What I have done in the past, is mix NSS green vibrance with Alpine green, starting with green vibrancy, darkening with the alpine. (Alpine was too dreary on its own for a Christmas color...I had a pretty white base and easy to color). Thing is, green vibrancy starts to temporarily morph to army green soon after you mix, so you have to be quick to mix in to a suitable green level, then add Alpine Or you won’t be able to tell what color you’re really getting.I used a 2:1 ratio...but suit yourself.

I’m also pretty happy with Mad Micas EnchantEd Forest without mixing for a pine tree color.

Green is my favorite color and I haven’t found a grass or Christmas green I really like. I suggest buying a few, and mixing them.

What I have done in the past, is mix NSS green vibrance with Alpine green, starting with green vibrancy, darkening with the alpine. (Alpine was too dreary on its own for a Christmas color...I had a pretty white base and easy to color). Thing is, green vibrancy starts to temporarily morph to army green soon after you mix, so you have to be quick to mix in to a suitable green level, then add Alpine Or you won’t be able to tell what color you’re really getting.I used a 2:1 ratio...but suit yourself.

I’m also pretty happy with Mad Micas EnchantEd Forest without mixing for a pine tree color.

Thats a good idea, maybe I'll try that!

I like Savage green from nurture soap. If I use less as in the trees, it is not as dark, but in the round soap is stronger since I used more.
CABACBB5-D433-44DF-9BF5-8C697F9CE77D.jpeg
54B3111F-5E99-4BF4-A6F4-63EE7A8A9357.jpeg

I agree with @glendam, I like the finished look of Savage garden from nurture soap.

You can also make your own colors. I use a coffee bean grinder and add my mica to it and mix it for a few seconds. I have created tons of custom colors this way. It is very easy but a little messy but I save a lot of money doing my own colors. I buy red, green, yellow, blue, orange, black and white for my base colors and from there I create all kinds of color.

I also use ultramarine colors and iron oxides to create my custom colors. It is so much fun and rewarding when you create a really cool custom color.

Sorry, I have nothing to add here because I got totally distracted by @glendam's Christmas tree! I. Am. In. Awe. (and a little embarrassed I posted my reverse feather elsewhere!). Wowza.
I am humbled by your comment! This was actually an easier technique than the secret feather pour. If you care to watch it, I just posted the video a few days ago. It is a modified version of the pipe divider swirl (but with toilet paper rolls instead of pvc pipe), here is a link:

*Searching for 'mind blown' emoji* This is an awesome video and helps me a lot. I was thinking it was a reverse feather and I couldn't figure out how the white and purple got swirled. Great job!

Thank you so much! Would love to see your results if you try it

I love this method too, and I bravely (stupidly) would like to try it, but for some reason I cannot wrap my mind around how to fold the paper towel core. I'll have to watch the video at least 12 more times before I can get it. I'd probably only try it in my small mold first, but the soaps are beautiful!

I love this method too, and I bravely (stupidly) would like to try it, but for some reason I cannot wrap my mind around how to fold the paper towel core. I'll have to watch the video at least 12 more times before I can get it. I'd probably only try it in my small mold first, but the soaps are beautiful!
I will upload a separate video that shows that part without being fast forwarded, I thought about cutting it and taping it too, and that might be easier. I will post the link here once I have it live

@AliOoop
yay, happy to hear that

@rdc1978
Here is the video of the folding of the paper towel core in real time, I hope it helps. Someone in fb tried it and showed me her pictures, it seems her batter was too fluid, but she did get a couple of nice trees, and then some that look a bit like a leaf (cool looking IMO). So based on that and my own experience, I would say it is 50% success rate in first attempt! However it might surprise you and be easier for you. If you have done taiwan swirl, it is very similar to that.

Have you tried using melted beeswax or cocoa butter to stick the bottoms of the rolls to the bottom of the mold? I know they do that with PVC pipes for the divider swirls, not only to keep them from moving, but also so the batter doesn't leak out. But I wasn't sure if that would be too strong for the cardboard rolls, and cause them to tear apart instead of pulling out of the soap cleanly.

Latest posts

Back