Christmas cookies

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quiltertoo

Reaction score
Do you bake Christmas cookies? What are you family's favorites? Some of our favorites are springerle, biscotti, shortbread cut outs, thumbprints, gingerbread men, oatmeal and of course chocolate chip. I usually make about 15 kinds and everyone gets a big container of cookies to take home on Christmas day. It's a tradition and I do love traditions.

Mary Lou

I make lots of goodies for the holidays. Thumbprint, sugar cookies, coconut macaroons, peanut brittle, toffee, pizzelles, kolachy, chocolate chip etc.......

I really like to make lemon ricotta cookies with a lemon glaze. Nice and bright on cold winter days. But since it has not really been cold yet... I have not bothered. Hahah

Oh and last year I found a chocolate shortbread with chocolate ganache filling.... mmm

Last edited:
My grandmother and my mother are both good for making fruitcakes about now. Christmas cookie baking has never been a thing we do (even if the fruitcake makes up for it). :(

My grandmother and my mother are both good for making fruitcakes about now. Christmas cookie baking has never been a thing we do (even if the fruitcake makes up for it). :(

I love fruitcake. I never understood all the jokes about it. I have made it in the past but it was kind of like making soap. I made it around Thanksgiving, then wrapped it in cheesecloth soaked in rum and then left it to age until Christmas.

Mary Lou

I really like to make lemon ricotta cookies with a lemon glaze. Nice and bright on cold winter days. But since it has not really been cold yet... I have not bothered. Hahah

Oh and last year I found a chocolate shortbread with chocolate ganache filling.... mmm

How dare you mention lemon ricotta cookies and not post a recipe link! Forty lashes for you kc! My mom is a lemon freak so I'm always looking for new ideas to share with her. She's also a hardcore Martha Stewart fan so she makes martha's lemon-rosemary shortbread cookies almost every Christmas. They're actually a nice change of pace from the usual sweets . . . this is coming from a straight-up chocoholic!

I like to make cut out sugar cookies for the grandkids. Our little guy helps to cut them out and decorate them.

Oh my...I have so many different cookies that I make, but the most popular on the short list is my sugar cookies, clothespins, nut horns, chocolate fudge, divinity, peanut butter blossoms, almond spritz, russian teacakes (aka snowballs), snickerdoodles, honey pecan squares, walnut thins. I also make monkey bread and the big nut rolls that are the sweet bread logs.

How dare you mention lemon ricotta cookies and not post a recipe link! Forty lashes for you kc! My mom is a lemon freak so I'm always looking for new ideas to share with her. She's also a hardcore Martha Stewart fan so she makes martha's lemon-rosemary shortbread cookies almost every Christmas. They're actually a nice change of pace from the usual sweets . . . this is coming from a straight-up chocoholic!

Yikes, Ok here you go

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...-ricotta-cookies-with-lemon-glaze-recipe.html

and the shortbreads are here

http://www.joyofbaking.com/shortbreads/ChocolateMintShortbreads.html

Do you bake them? The recipe doesn't say.

Yes, definitely bake them . . . sorry for posting such a horrible link. I was kinda freaking out because my Google-fu wasn't bringing up many hits and I don't think I have a hardcopy of that recipe! Here's a better link with baking directions and everything :)

ETA: I usually bake mine on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet even though directions say unlined. Sometimes the filling oozes out the ends and the parchment makes clean up so much easier.

http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/archive/COOKIES/Rolled_Cookies_Melt-in-Your_Mouth_Nut_Strudel.html

kc - thanks for the links as well! I may have to try both . . . lemon ricotta for mom and the chocolate ganache shortbreads for me & Dad :)

My mother in law bakes spritz, Russian teacakes, almond shortbread and butter cookies, so I don't make those. The cookies I make vary, but my grandmothers both made Christmas cookies every year. From their recipes I make peanut butter blossoms and (not every year because they are super putzy) peanut croquettes (one grandma); and then I make krumkaka and sugar cookies, lefse, and any other Norwegian cookies I have time for (usually none). My mom always made a chocolate toffee cookie that I now make every year. My daughter in law won a blue ribbon for her snickerdoodles at the state fair this year - I'm hoping some make their way here this Christmas! I LOVE COOKIES!!

I might have to do those lemon ricotta cookies. Can they be put in the freezer?

Yum, everyone' cookies sound fantastic. My husband makes Sand Tarts every year that disappear way too quickly. I think they are the same thing as Russian Teacakes. Thankfully, they are perfectly behaved at high altitude so we haven't needed to make adjustments.

I didn't make as much this year, as I am trying to control my sugar intake. Thankfully, I am making this to send to my husband's job and to my son's friends at school, so it won't be a temptation. I made peppermint bark, peanut butter squares (my most requested recipe/dessert), ritz crackers dipped in melted Ande's mint baking chips, vanilla and chocolate dipped pretzels, cinnamon and spearmint crack candy and potato candy (first time making this and I must say I am not impressed, way too sweet and I'm not sure I didn't mess something up). I love to bake and cook, so it was an enjoyable time! :)

Triple chocolate chip cookies (an ATK/CI recipe) are on the top on my list: http://www.browneyedbaker.com/thick-and-chewy-triple-chocolate-cookies/,

Next are my grandma's Butternut Ball cookies, which are a variation of all the snowball/butterball cookies recipes you see floating about the net. Instead of adding chopped nuts to the dough, though, my grandma would always enclose a pecan half inside each ball of dough. After they are baked, they are then rolled in powdered sugar.

I'll be adding 2 new recipes to my list this year:

1) Almond spritzgeback cookies- the kind that melt-in-your-mouth as opposed to the crispy kind. I was experimenting with these a few months ago, and now that they have been hubby and son-approved (besides just "me"-approved), I feel confident enough to foist them upon the rest of the family. lol

and

2) Polish oreshki cookies, which are the cutest looking cookies I ever did see. They are shaped via a special mold to look just like real walnuts, and you can fill them with different fillings: http://search.kingarthurflour.com/s...e&method=or&af=type:recipes&sli_from_jump=yes ,and also http://letthebakingbeginblog.com/2014/12/walnut-shaped-cookies-with-dulce-de-leche-filling/ I bought a couple of sets of walnut cookie molds a few years back from King Arthur Flour when they were clearing them out for half-price or something, but I haven't even used them yet. Well, no more excuses- this year they are getting used!

Bamagirl said:
ritz crackers dipped in melted Ande's mint baking chips

Ooooh! I need to try my hand those!

IrishLass :)

I haven't started yet.
Lemon bars, cashew brittle, rocks, sugar cookies, roca bars, ginger snaps....
I know there's others but the short list is an idea of what's about to happen. DW is complaining about putting on a few pounds since I retired ( I cook) and she's been encouraging me to soap instead of bake.

Irish Lass would you share the recipe for the spritz cookies. I have been looking for a melt in the mouth recipe for years. When I was in high school many many years ago they served the best spritz cookie I have ever tasted and I have tried a lot of recipes but none were the melt in the mouth kind I was looking for.

Mary Lou

Love christmas cookies! I love cookies in general, haha.
My favorites to bake on these cool winter days though, would have to be: Sugar cookies (love decorating them!), ginger cookies (seriously have a love affair with ginger and molasses), Russian tea cakes (melt in your mouth goodness!), and your basic chocolate chip cookie (can't go wrong with chocolate!).

Back