Christmas 2017

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:) Don't know .... but with all the gadgets we have now, we should have more time for other things, but maybe the gadgets are consuming us?

Since I love going through rabbit holes, I was thinking the other day how the earth orbits the sun, and the whole planetary system is also moving on an elliptical fashion, so maybe it has to do with that, and is like certain cycles.

So, is anyone ready for Christmas? Got all your presents, and stuff?

:) Don't know .... but with all the gadgets we have now, we should have more time for other things, but maybe the gadgets are consuming us?

Since I love going through rabbit holes, I was thinking the other day how the earth orbits the sun, and the whole planetary system is also moving on an elliptical fashion, so maybe it has to do with that, and is like certain cycles.

Oh no, not at all.

We just put up our little rinky dink fake tree yesterday.
I don’t feel the whole Christmas spirit this year for some reason. Maybe it’s because I have two kids under five years old this year? You would think having kids would put you in the super Christmas spirit ... but no.
I think I’m just worn out. I want a nap! Haha.

I’m forcing myself to go buy a few more decorations tomorrow, and I’m going to attempt to make a gingerbread house this Friday, and we’re going to see the Nutcracker with some friends over the weekend ... So there’s that.

This year has flown by.

I decorated Thanksgiving weekend, I cigar-banded the last of the gift soap yesterday when it hit week four (with some exceptions, but not that many). Now it's time to bag it, tag it, and stick it under the tree.

And get this season over with. I can't be the only one who dislikes it. :)

Oh gosh, I know, someone told me I feel the time is gone because I am getting older, but my 18 year old was complaining about time going too fast....

I wonder if this perhaps has something to do with the pace of life nowadays. You don't get to slow down much anymore, always doing something.

Why is that?!!! It seems the hurrieder I go, the behinder I get! Not fair!!! :mrgreen:

Oh no, not at all.

We just put up our little rinky dink fake tree yesterday.
I don’t feel the whole Christmas spirit this year for some reason. Maybe it’s because I have two kids under five years old this year? You would think having kids would put you in the super Christmas spirit ... but no.
I think I’m just worn out. I want a nap! Haha.

I’m forcing myself to go buy a few more decorations tomorrow, and I’m going to attempt to make a gingerbread house this Friday, and we’re going to see the Nutcracker with some friends over the weekend ... So there’s that.

This year has flown by.

I really believe it's a combination of things, which are externally pressed upon us as well as our internal make-up. And I also believe, through my own experience and observation of others, that we are perfectly capable of altering our internal make-up as it relates to how we respond to those external pressures.

In my youth, I was easily pressured by the external. Not so much anymore. I can relax without taking on the external pressures that used to interfere with my ability to so. Granted there are still some external situations/events that I do tend to find more pressuring than others, but far fewer than in my youth.

How we respond to the pressures of holidays (or any other events), in my opinion, also has a lot to do with our own expectations of ourselves and our attitudes and how we feel about living up to the expectations of others. Still that's all internal and can be altered in my experience.

:)

I only have to find something for dh (which is way too hard).

The only Christmassy thing I've done is put up a sign on the front door and we took bunny to get her photo with Santa at the produce store and she didn't like him and leapt off his lap into the photographers arms (maybe better luck next year). Waiting for the photo to be uploaded. We have a frozen turkey to cook for Christmas Day that dh bought after Christmas Day for a bargain from last year, so that's taken care of.

You are right Earlene, we tend to be our worst critics. I wish I had small kids in the house, since my sons all grown up, Christmas is not the same.

Relle, that is too funny. Not sure how you can control a bunny at all, I think they have a mind of their own.

My husband and I do not exchange gifts any longer, we spend it on our "kids". We also have a turkey for Christmas, and I will be making next week a traditional meal which can be frozen, and I have not made in like 5 years. Also a special ham bread with raisings.

I'm with everyone else who's not ready yet. Time is just going by way too fast! We've talked about getting a tree but that's as far as my decorating has gotten lol. I started making soaps for coworker gifts in September but I don't think I made enough so unfortunately only select coworkers will get one.

Relle, I don't know what is wrong with me, but this year I have ZERO Christmas spirit .... HEEEELLLLLLLPPPPP!
It happens...I have not had a lot of it since retirement and not enough extra money to spend. This year is even worse since no one is having Christmas Dinner and I will be at the parents for my month. But I am working on a couple of crochet items for the grand kids in the family

One week to go or 7 sleeps. You heard it here first - one week, like it or not.
Thanks.gif These little reminders have been SO helpful! Hug!

Relle, I don't know what is wrong with me, but this year I have ZERO Christmas spirit .... HEEEELLLLLLLPPPPP!
Oh fahgoodnessakes -- head over to Walmart and pay somebody's bill; pay for your coffee or whatever and pay for the person behind you while you're at it; take some soapies over to an old folks home and pass them out; Sing Christmas carols, LOUD! There's nothing like a random act of kindness to getcha out of the doldrums. That being said, I hear ya! I need to take my own advice. :mrgreen:

Oh fahgoodnessakes -- head over to Walmart and pay somebody's bill; pay for your coffee or whatever and pay for the person behind you while you're at it; take some soapies over to an old folks home and pass them out; Sing Christmas carols, LOUD! There's nothing like a random act of kindness to getcha out of the doldrums. That being said, I hear ya! I need to take my own advice. :mrgreen:

You all could keep me company for the next couple weeks. I'll have an empty house. Now, I'm not suffering from lack of spirit because we have an awesome kid who still believes. But some Christmas activities had to be skipped this year because of needing to spend so much time studying.
I plan on practicing to make candles: :headbanging: Why I do this to myself I'm not sure. I'll make soap as my racks are getting bare, watch movies.
But I'll need people to talk to! Everyone is so busy this time of year.

we've also been gathering goods to donate to the Sudanese. One of them is a motherless 9 year girl who's maturing early. Her father has no idea about such things, and she left with nothing appropriate to wear.

Well.... WAS without anything to wear. Our girl had some good clothes to donate that worked for her. A couple other mothers with girls this age went out to the store to buy NEW clothes for her! So she will be sitting pretty in just a few days!

Another woman donated money to get clothes for her brother, and they'll all be getting toys.

I do RAKs all month long according to my possibilities... but no, still not spirit. They feel like a chore .... now I have not sang carols out loud yet.....

Lenaree we can be pen pals !:)

It happens...I have not had a lot of it since retirement and not enough extra money to spend. This year is even worse since no one is having Christmas Dinner and I will be at the parents for my month. But I am working on a couple of crochet items for the grand kids in the family

I get you.... I have probably done all crafts known to mankind with much success except for ... crocheting or knitting! Not sure if I am impatient, but I have never been able to learn.

I would love to learn to make knitted socks.

I do RAKs all month long according to my possibilities... but no, still not spirit. They feel like a chore .... now I have not sang carols out loud yet.....

I find walking (or driving) around looking at Christmas lights lifts my spirits if my spirit tank is a little low.

BTW - I don't seem to be able to crochet or knit. The yarn seems to knot up if I look at it from the corner of my eye. (My mom gave up trying to teach me - shaking her head completely baffled.)

I think Relle should start the Christmas 2018 thread now.

I did it to myself again - just didn't get around to finishing my gift bags for my co-workers. But I have 2 off days this weeks, so I will do them then. They will be Happy New Year's bags instead of Christmas bags. But still with Christmassy stuff.

Thanks for the reminders through out the year Relle.
They have been very helpful.

Wishing you a very merry Christmas and a happy and fantastic New Year.

PJ

Thank you, this year was a nightmare, so looking forward to 2018.

Hope you have a Happy Christmas and great New Year as well.

I find walking (or driving) around looking at Christmas lights lifts my spirits if my spirit tank is a little low.

BTW - I don't seem to be able to crochet or knit. The yarn seems to knot up if I look at it from the corner of my eye. (My mom gave up trying to teach me - shaking her head completely baffled.)

Yep That is exactly what happens to me too!

Hey, today I had a great day, and feel more Christmas - ish! :dancingsanta:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back