Christening party soap ideas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My granddaughter is being baptized in September, and my cute DIL has asked me to make soap for party favors for the gathering after. I am delighted that she asked me and I’m starting to scheme and plan. You are all such a brilliant crowd, I’d love to hear what ideas people have for design. I’m interested in impression mats but have never used them. Colors I’m thinking I’ll be subtle, pastels and uncolored. Probably a couple small bars for each. Thoughts? TIA.

Initial thoughts:

For anything like this, you're probably best using a vegan recipe, or at the very least vegetarian. If your usual recipe isn't vegan, you have a bit of time to find one you like.

I would also include an unscented option. Make them distinct, different coloured label/packaging or something, and in a separate bowl/basket. Some coloured and a few plain.

I'd personally over-cater a bit, in case it turns out that no one wants unscented soap, or alternatively more people than you expect want it. So for example, if you were making for 20 people, that would be 40 small soaps. I'd do 40 scented, plus another 10 or so unscented.
You can gift the leftovers to your DIL if you think she'd like them. If your recipe is mild, the unscented soap should be fine for baby.

I might be tempted to find some cute cavity moulds if you don't need too many. There are plenty of pretty flower moulds around, for example. Using a few different but similar moulds gives you variety.

I've not used impression mats either, but in a loaf mould they look fairly simple to use. I've also seen them used as a liner round the inside of a pringles tin or round mould.

In terms of scents, I'd go for a single, unisex scent. Lemongrass is one I think works for all ages and genders. Some of the ocean themed scents are unisex too, though I think they'd likely be less appealing to teens and kids, as they are more complex.

Do you think folks will want to actually use the soap? If so, a simple itp swirl or similar might be best so they're not deemed "too pretty to use". If you think they'll mostly be kept as mementos, then possibly consider a more complex design, depending on your skill level. Now is not the time to try new, tricky techniques, in case they don't come out how you wanted.

As I said, these are initial thoughts! Do let us know what you come up with. 😊

Initial thoughts:

For anything like this, you're probably best using a vegan recipe, or at the very least vegetarian. If your usual recipe isn't vegan, you have a bit of time to find one you like.

I would also include an unscented option. Make them distinct, different coloured label/packaging or something, and in a separate bowl/basket. Some coloured and a few plain.

I'd personally over-cater a bit, in case it turns out that no one wants unscented soap, or alternatively more people than you expect want it. So for example, if you were making for 20 people, that would be 40 small soaps. I'd do 40 scented, plus another 10 or so unscented.
You can gift the leftovers to your DIL if you think she'd like them. If your recipe is mild, the unscented soap should be fine for baby.

I might be tempted to find some cute cavity moulds if you don't need too many. There are plenty of pretty flower moulds around, for example. Using a few different but similar moulds gives you variety.

I've not used impression mats either, but in a loaf mould they look fairly simple to use. I've also seen them used as a liner round the inside of a pringles tin or round mould.

In terms of scents, I'd go for a single, unisex scent. Lemongrass is one I think works for all ages and genders. Some of the ocean themed scents are unisex too, though I think they'd likely be less appealing to teens and kids, as they are more complex.

Do you think folks will want to actually use the soap? If so, a simple itp swirl or similar might be best so they're not deemed "too pretty to use". If you think they'll mostly be kept as mementos, then possibly consider a more complex design, depending on your skill level. Now is not the time to try new, tricky techniques, in case they don't come out how you wanted.

As I said, these are initial thoughts! Do let us know what you come up with. 😊
All great ideas, thank you! Really good point about not trying new tricky techniques, or committing myself to them. I could see myself promising something that is over my head and creating a “Pinterest fail” 🙄 Also, noted about an unscented option being a good idea. Also yes vegan.
Appreciate your input!

Last edited:
Using an impression mat is not difficult and gives lovely results. There are many to choose from on Amazon. Just be sure to check the size so that you know it is long enough for a loaf mold and the width can be cut if necessary and still have a design you would like. I've used them in the bottom of a slab mold, the bottom of a loaf mold (just remember that the soap is being poured upside down) and in a cylinder mold, and all work well.

My favorite look is something like an ombre with subtle colors. Your One Pot Wonder soap last month was lovely and I think that is a technique that would also be very pretty with subtle colors and an impression mat.

Using an impression mat is not difficult and gives lovely results. There are many to choose from on Amazon. Just be sure to check the size so that you know it is long enough for a loaf mold and the width can be cut if necessary and still have a design you would like. I've used them in the bottom of a slab mold, the bottom of a loaf mold (just remember that the soap is being poured upside down) and in a cylinder mold, and all work well.

My favorite look is something like an ombre with subtle colors. Your One Pot Wonder soap last month was lovely and I think that is a technique that would also be very pretty with subtle colors and an impression mat.
Great idea! I need to start watching impression mat videos. I feel like it would be easy (for me) to leave soap remnants behind when unmolding and wreck the design.

My first thought Little Angel Soap Mold's. As for your soap' if its for adult guest options are open' as far as colors & FO / EO. I'd would choose a lighter in color soap for a Baby Christening.

My first thought Little Angel Soap Mold's. As for your soap' if its for adult guest options are open' as far as colors & FO / EO. I'd would choose a lighter in color soap for a Baby Christening.
I‘ll suggest it, although I’m not sure they’ll want anything that representational. For example I saw some crucifix soaps on Pinterest and I don’t think they will want to go in that direction. I agree about lighter colors.

Great idea! I need to start watching impression mat videos. I feel like it would be easy (for me) to leave soap remnants behind when unmolding and wreck the design.
The only time I've had bits of soap left behind is when I have filled the impression mat crevices with soap batter, and then poured over it or placed it on top of the soap after it was in the mold. And even then, not much was left behind. If you don't unmold when the soap is too soft it should work perfectly. And peeling the impression mat off is fun :)

I feel like it would be easy (for me) to leave soap remnants behind when unmolding and wreck the design.

The only time I've had bits of soap left behind is when I have filled the impression mat crevices with soap batter, and then poured over it or placed it on top of the soap after it was in the mold. And even then, not much was left behind. If you don't unmold when the soap is too soft it should work perfectly. And peeling the impression mat off is fun :)

Me, too. Removing the mat too soon is usually when loss of detail occurs with an impression mat (or any intricate design inside a mold). When used inside a round column mold, I find that removal from the mold, then leaving the mat in place for at least another day is best, depending on the soap formula of course.

It is fun! You can also put the soap in the freezer for an hour or so, then let it sit on the counter for 5 minutes. The mat will peel off very cleanly. Then the trick is not to touch the soap while it defrosts, so you don't get dents and fingerprints. :)

Okay, I did a trial run with a silicone impression mat! Worked reasonably well, but by the time I had finished fussing with the white part the main batter was almost solid thanks to an accelerating FO. I scurried to add some rose kaolin to the main batter, stirred frantically, glopped it in to my mini trial mold, and tried to slam the batter down. I unmolded this morning and only left a few bits of the lace behind. The back of the soap looks exactly like mortadella 😄👍
8513BFDD-2F6D-412F-80A7-97E57AD20B5B.jpeg4E85680A-A0F2-4F2C-8E65-BF76A4864BA6.jpegF2B1B127-2D3A-4788-9911-4099ABA12B7C.png

Ooohhh, I love mortadella!! Now I'm craving a muffaletta!!
I bought some really cute silicone lamb molds from Brambleberry a year or so ago, but when I searched for them just now I couldn't find them on their site. And honestly, your lace soaps are pretty perfect for a christening anyway!
I'm Catholic so my first thought for a scent was frankincense and myrrh, but maybe a baby powder scent would be more appealing?

Ooohhh, I love mortadella!! Now I'm craving a muffaletta!!
I bought some really cute silicone lamb molds from Brambleberry a year or so ago, but when I searched for them just now I couldn't find them on their site. And honestly, your lace soaps are pretty perfect for a christening anyway!
I'm Catholic so my first thought for a scent was frankincense and myrrh, but maybe a baby powder scent would be more appealing?
This was a rose geranium fragrance, I think it was sold as an EO but I don’t think it is - anyway, yes baby powder is an idea although tbh it’s not my favorite. I think I’ll go floral, but light.

Okay, I did a trial run with a silicone impression mat! Worked reasonably well, but by the time I had finished fussing with the white part the main batter was almost solid thanks to an accelerating FO. I scurried to add some rose kaolin to the main batter, stirred frantically, glopped it in to my mini trial mold, and tried to slam the batter down. I unmolded this morning and only left a few bits of the lace behind. The back of the soap looks exactly like mortadella 😄👍
View attachment 59191View attachment 59192View attachment 59193
Mortadela aside, the impression done by the mat looks flawless, great job!

Latest posts

Back