Choosing Salt for Salt Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dead Sea salt is very variable.

From wiki: The Dead Sea's mineral composition varies with season, rainfall, depth of deposit, and ambient temperature. Most oceanic salt is approximately 85% sodium chloride (the same salt as table salt) while Dead Sea salt is only 30.5% of this, with the remainder composed of other dried minerals and salts.

You are not going to get consistent reliable results using Dead Sea salt in soap. I think most of us try to aim for that.

I understand. Thanks for taking the time to reply to this thread. I have been using dead sea salt for about two years now and have never had a problem at all. Perhaps I use less salt than some. Maybe its the brand I use. But I like dead sea salt for the magnesium content--healthy, relaxing.

I understand. Thanks for taking the time to reply to this thread. I have been using dead sea salt for about two years now and have never had a problem at all. Perhaps I use less salt than some. Maybe its the brand I use. But I like dead sea salt for the magnesium content--healthy, relaxing.
:thumbs: Good one. Keep using that brand and the method you are using!

Just fyi, I've used dendritic salt as a portion of my total 35% salt in hopes of anchoring scent longer. The result was shagginess......bars shedding bits of salt. More rustic appearance after using in shower.

Latest posts

Back