Choosing a soap cutter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've made about 12 batches of soap so far, and each is getting better. At first I cut the loafs by hand and the bars were all wonky, so my husband built me a cutter box, but his "craftsmanship" makes bars that are all different sizes. So I've decided it's time to buy an official soap cutter. I'm torn between the kind that uses a blade and has multiple 1"-spaced slots vs the single-wire on a cutting arm with a stop. Blade vs wire? Any particular affordable model you'd recommend for a hobbyist who's totally hooked on making lots of soap?

I have a single-wire cutter. FWIW, I'm one of those people who can't cut in a straight line if there is any leeway, and the slots in the box+blade system definitely have more room for variance. If that's not you, then the box+blade may be fine.

But I also find that the single-wire cutter gives me more options for easily slicing my bars in different directions, which is necessary for certain types of techniques. Depending on the dimensions of a box cutter, you may not be able to rotate the bar the way that you want in order to cut it the way that you want. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
For about $25.00, you can make your own soap cutter:

Cheese Slicer.png

I bought the above Cheese Slicer on Amazon (amazon.com/gp/product/B00004S1DU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for $18.00. I used a Sharpie to make a 1" and 1 1/2" cutting line. I then went to Home Depot and bought a 1/2" round Dowel, cut it to size, used the round sandpaper thingy on hubby Dremel to make a trough and used strong construction superglue to set it into place.

But if your heart is set on a regular soap cutter, as a hobbiest I would just go with a single bar cutter.

I purchased a highly rated miter soap wood cutting box with included blades on Amazon - and I was constantly getting uneven wonky cuts. So I got a cheap cheese cutter, like what TheGecko suggests above - this works much better, though you do need to DIY just a bit as suggested.

I tried the cheese cutter I have at home with only limited success, but the one TheGecko suggests is a bit larger, so that would be helpful. I am concerned that the arthritis in my fingers that makes it difficult to hold things in place might be a problem without having a taller side-guide and a stop at the end rather than just cutting lines?

I tried the cheese cutter I have at home with only limited success, but the one TheGecko suggests is a bit larger, so that would be helpful. I am concerned that the arthritis in my fingers that makes it difficult to hold things in place might be a problem without having a taller side-guide and a stop at the end rather than just cutting lines?

I find it pretty easy to hold with my short guide along the side. I couldn't keep it steady enough without the side guide rough.

Thank you for the input. Sounds like the single-wire type is the best bet. I am considering this one on Amazon ($34).:
Oh, I wasn't thinking of that one at all, sorry. While I have seen some folks on YouTube who use those, for me, it still has the spacing issues in that the slot for the wire leaves too much room for variance.

I have the same type of single-wire cutter that @SPowers pictured in her post, just above this one. The cheese-slicer type referenced by @AlexanderMakesSoap are favored by a lot of people, as well. The drawback to the cheese slicer is that it doesn't hold longer loaves very well, unless you make an extension for it.

The drawback to the cheese slicer is that it doesn't hold longer loaves very well, unless you make an extension for it.

I cut 10" loaves with no problem. But even with a single wire cutter, you're going to have issues with longer loaves. And if you're just making soap as a hobby, you can always cut your loaf in half.

A lot of folks on here like the one from Bud's which was a bit out of my budget. I did a lot of research but kept finding shipping costs doubling the price. Then I found and bought this one with reasonable shipping, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PHZKC6D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .
I believe it's the same as @SPowers. I too am a hobbyist but LOVE my cutter, it makes me feel professional. Keep us posted on your final selection!

That's the other one I keep looking at (vs the one I posted the picture of near the top of this thread). It's a question of spending $90 or $34. How much difference in quality and function is there between the two? I'm just a hobbyist, but I am selling to friends, and I do want to offer nice bars of equal sizes.

@JoyfulSudz , If possible, I'd look at reviews for the $34. I frequently get concerned if something is priced really low and then dig in to reviews. I have had zero problems with the one I got and love it. It was at the high end of my personal budget but I'm pretty sure it will last awhile.

@JoyfulSudz , If possible, I'd look at reviews for the $34. I frequently get concerned if something is priced really low and then dig in to reviews. I have had zero problems with the one I got and love it. It was at the high end of my personal budget but I'm pretty sure it will last awhile.

The $89 one certainly has better reviews (4.7 out of 5) than the $34 model (3.5 out of 5). As a beginner not knowing how my soaping will progress, I'm having a hard time justifying the higher expenditure, but also don't want to have to buy a better one later because I cut corners trying to cut soap economically early on .

I'm probably the odd one out here, but I love my bench scraper for a cutter :)
I have a miter box to go with it, and it's not wobbly at all, I get straight and consistent cuts.

Latest posts

Back