Chocolate spread in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodi

Reaction score
I'm wanting to give this a try, unless some soaper warns me otherwise:

DH bought this to spread on toast, but it tastes too fatty so I'm going to use it in a batch of soap.

ChocSpread.JPG

Ingreds listed on the jar read:

sugar, canola oil, low fat cocoa,palm oil, lactose, skim milk powder,soy lecithin, natural bourbon vanilla extract, salt.

Will let you know how it turns out!

Next time, send it to me. I don't mind things that taste fatty . . . especially if they contain chocolate.

Curious to know how it turns out!

It doesn't even have much of a chocolate taste - more like just palm oil. I am sitting down now to concoct a recipe for it. The side bar on jar says the fat content is only 11%, with 8% of that being trans fats....so I'm guessing: 8% might be the palm oil, and the other 3 % the canola. But what is the other 89%??????? sugar and cocoa? wow, should be some soap.....

Craziness?

I bet sugar, primarily. It's the first ingredient, right?

How much of this are you going to put in a batch?

I couldn't do it. After sitting down trying to write out all the percentages, I blew a socket in my brain (just kidding), and ended up making two batches of my usual soap recipe.

The chocolate is still sitting on my soaping table as I glare at it. DH says to just throw it away, rather than risk ruining a batch of soap. But durn it.....it seems so tempting, doesn't it? I might do just one pound of soap with it.

Stopped for lunch, back to soaproom in a minute or three.

Gardengirl: I was planning to substitute at least half of my lard with it. So, let's see: if I do half a recipe, (or maybe I'll do a quarter recipe)... this would be 10.5 ounces of lard, so it would be 5 oz. lard and 5oz. chocolate (give or take). I won't even bother to calculate the lye for it, cuz the amount of oil in the chocolate mixture will be like .3% or somethin'.....

to be continued....

Could u not just add a tablespoon or 2 at trace & stickblend it in.

I add lindt chocolate at trace & it makes alovely fat filled bar.

Well I did it! and yes, nattynoo, I decided to just add a TBSP to the soap at trace. It looks very, very chocolatey. Pics tomorrow, when I unmold.

I made a small batch, just 8 bars in plastic molds: 3 flowers, 3 fish, 1 Buddha, 1 cat. All are colored with red clay (and brown chocolate of course) and the only scent was some amber resin I had soaking in olive oil for a month, which gives a sweet smell. Should be interesting.

I wouldn't throw it away, virtually anything can be soapped :wink:
... especially chocolate ... hmmmm

If they say 8% of the fat is trans fat my guess is that's the canola since it's liquid at room temperature and they would've had to hydrogenate it to make it solid ... does that make sense?
Nutella contains whey powder as volume filler and lecitin as emulsifier so maybe this one contains a lot of powdered milk ?!

This is exciting!!! I would use it as an additive and start with a couple of spoons at trace and keep adding till I get a nice color and consistency. I dunno if you trust the ingredient list but in this part of the world I've learned not to. It might contain a lot of corn startch or any other filling stuff that might make the soap too dough-like at a high percentage.
But since it's a test batch .... anything is in order :) That spread might turn to be a key ingredient to your future chocolate batches :wink:

Oh well, now I have to soap chocolate spread too ... on my shopping list now :p

Have fun!
mari

:lol: by the time my post reached its destination you already made the wonderful mistery chocolate soap !!!

Can't wait to see the pics, I am sure they're lovely.

mari :)

Well for all you eager-beavers, here's a preview pic. Pardon the mess - as I said: it was gooey.
I just now turned over the molds to take this pic, but the soap is very soft, only 3 hours old.

ChocSprdSoaps.JPG

Oh wow, Diane,

That turned out so wonderful! So chocolatey from just one tbs!
Now I really have to buy some of that stuff and soap it too :)

That was a fun experiment! Thanks for sharing. They look really good.

Woodi said:
Well for all you eager-beavers, here's a preview pic. Pardon the mess - as I said: it was gooey.
I just now turned over the molds to take this pic, but the soap is very soft, only 3 hours old.

diane, they're beautiful!

i like to use some of a barely-melted nice dark chocolate bar at trace, adding just a bit at a time until i get the color i want. works beautifully! i couldn't get the color right trying to add to the oils.

and, of course, after pour, i get to eat some of the chocolate i haven't melted :)

Yes, using chocolate in soap might be just an excuse to eat some chocolate! Would you believe my hubby actually dislikes chocolate? If he's given a choice of a fruit dessert or a decadent chocolate dessert, he ALWAYS chooses the fruit one. Craziness!

Woodi said:
Yes, using chocolate in soap might be just an excuse to eat some chocolate! Would you believe my hubby actually dislikes chocolate? If he's given a choice of a fruit dessert or a decadent chocolate dessert, he ALWAYS chooses the fruit one. Craziness!
Not crazy, just more chocolate for you! :D

Here they are out of the molds now. Still a tad soft. Feels like they'll need about 6 weeks to harden up fully. They smell like amber and a hint of chocolate. The oil I used had some red oxide powder in it too.

ChocSpdSoaps.JPG

Back