Chocolate soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aromasue

Reaction score
Hi all I want to add chocolate into my soap. Is it best to use powder, if so how or melt dark chocolate?

Thanks

Sue

I'm going to assume that regular chocolate would get moldy.

I regularly make a chocolate soap using cocoa powder. Most people will say not to add more than 2 Tablespoons of anything per lb of base, but with cocoa, I do 1 tablespoon per 1/2 lb of base.

I use fresh chocolate for my chocolate soap but I cold process so not sure how it will go in M&P.
It definitely doesn't go moldly in CP.
I use approx 40grams of dark choc for 1000grams oil. It goes a deep deep chocolate colour. One of my favourite soaps.

You could also try using natural cocoa butter - about 1Tbsp per pound of soap - the smell is incredible and it offers wonderful skin properties too!

Catmehndi said:
You could also try using natural cocoa butter - about 1Tbsp per pound of soap - the smell is incredible and it offers wonderful skin properties too!

I agree...unrefined cocoa butter smells divine in soap. You could also add a little Dutch Chocolate FO.

I made a Chocolate Rose soap and used both FO oils then put baby rose buds on top. It turned out amazing.

I've used cocoa powder, but it leaves no scent. Cocoa butter doesn't smell much after the soap has cured for 5 weeks or more, and I've even used chocolate spread in one batch....came out very dark. No problems with any of these soaps, but nothing special really. They do make dark lather.

I also have some chocolate fo that's just sitting around....I really ought to try making some soap with it. Thanks for the reminder.

But in MP soap, cocoa powder does leave a scent.
Also, in MP soap, adding cocoa butter can make your soap less lathery.

Thanks everyone for your help and ideas. I think I am going to experiment with melted chocolate first and see what happens. Will keep you posted.

Sue

Re:

nattynoo said:
I use fresh chocolate for my chocolate soap but I cold process so not sure how it will go in M&P.

Can it be 70% dark chocolate, like the one you use in brownie recipes? Or does it have to be pure cocoa solids?

Thank you, I look forward to making my own!

Karl

I've made some nice chocolate soap using a chocolate FO and adding unrefined cocoa butter. Be careful not to add too much cocoa butter because it will cause the bars to get spots on it. The chocolate FO will turn the soap dark, but it can be colored also with MP colorants.

Powdered Chocolate in Mine

I just made my first batch of Chocolate Soap. I used the powdered coco and added it into a bit of the oil which I whizzed with my stick blender. It smelled like a nice cup of hot chocolate and was a nice dark color in the mold. Hope it turns out well and hope your does too. Keep us updated I am curious about the different ways to add the Chocolate.

LeAnn
Twisty Stitches
http://twistystitches.biz

Cocoa in Soap

The first MP soap I ever made was Organic Peppermint and Cocoa Body Bars - they are still among my co-workers' favorites. For 2 pounds of MP (I used goats milk base), I added 4 oz. of wildcrafted cocoa butter, one tsp of good quality cocoa powder, and 1 oz. of peppermint oil. I made them in January and they still smell very good. I think, if you want the cocoa smell to come through stronger, I would not use peppermint oil - but find a chocolate fragrance oil. Nature's Garden has a "Kickin Cocoa Oil and Brambleberry carries a Dark Rich Chocolate Fragrance Oil.

A small amount of 70% or above chocolate can be added. But watch the amount of cocoa powder as too much makes brown suds!

Feel free to post pictures of your finished soap, LeAnn! We love pics! :)

Latest posts

Back