chocolate mint ice cream soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
have been tossing around how to make a choco mint ice cream soap. I was thinking I could make bigger shreds of dk black/brown soap and put into a med light green soap but I cant for the life of me think of the kind of mint I should use. I was thinking of not gelling the green but gelling the choco

I got a chocolate mint scent from Peak as a sample a few years ago. It's still sitting on my "samples" shelf, lol. I think if I were to blend something I'd use a chocolate scent and probably Moroccan Mint (BB) or a blend of peppermint and spearmint. My favorite chocolate scent is Dark Rich Chocolate (BB) which blends great with Espresso. It will D/C VERY dark as the vanilla content is over 15%. I've used WSP Chocolate Drizzle but didn't like it as much. Since the chocolate will D/C dark and eventually migrate to any lighter areas, I think you should consider bright green embeds and see if the dark soap changes the embeds. The only test I've done that's similar is bright red embed "stripes" into white batter for Candy Cane soap. After about 3 months the red bled into the white so it looked odd.

I once made Hot process soap and used spearmint, I over cooked it, so I had a lot of loose pieces. I added them to a chocolate soap and liked it a lot. However next time I will try with peppermint FO

I think the mint in the ice cream is closer to peppermint, or maybe a mix of peppermint and spearmint. I just got a chocolate FO from Essentials Bath and Body and I have to say it is super strong OOB. I haven't made anything with it yet, but when I do I'm going to reduce my usage rate. Mint should hold its own with it well. If you don't want to do confetti soap, I'd do a drop swirl with the chocolate and the rest in mint.

If you don't want to do confetti soap,

I want it to look like the ice cream would look, so maybe not so much grates but little pieces of choco?

I want it to look like the ice cream would look, so maybe not so much grates but little pieces of choco?

Last edited by a moderator:
For the chocolate parts, would you be using cocoa powder? Also, to get that chocolate mint scent down, I strongly suggest you blend your own. Chocolate mint is not one of those scents that is easy to find a satisfactory one of.

For the chocolate parts, would you be using cocoa powder? Also, to get that chocolate mint scent down, I strongly suggest you blend your own. Chocolate mint is not one of those scents that is easy to find a satisfactory one of.

I want it to be mint scented with choco looking pieces in it--sorry about the confusion. I just want it to look like the mint choco chip ice cream. my main goal is to figure out what mints to use to make the mint part

I get it now. Too bad you need an insane amount of chocolate mint (the herb) to get a nice, usable scent from. Peppermint EO hands down unless there are skin sensitivities to worry about. Then, a blend of EO/FO or a mint FO would be in order.

As for the chocolate bits- you can always look into making embeds. You can still use cocoa powder to get a strong brown or some other brown pigment. You can also make a small batch of soap with instant coffee (a safer alternative if you use wash rags) and take a bar to make some shavings. You would would want to use a knife to chop up the shavings though and make it look more like chocolate.

I would make a small mold with cocoa powdered soap, really thin, then cut into small chunks. I just saw one somewhere posted, maybe facebook and it looked really great. I would use Peppermint EO or a Blend of EO/FO.

This.. Color is and design.. Is what I thought of when I read this post title. Maybe an even thinner brown layer, and slightly more confetti within..

Geometric shapes came to mind for me. I have no idea why. I think I am too used to Haagen Daaz's mint chip ice cream but that ice cream is not green like most mint chips are.

Latest posts

Back