Chocolate cake- boiling water= scrambled eggs?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I learned a lesson when refining a recipe for a rum bundt cake -- the pan MUST be greased with shortening, lard, non-stick spray, or any non-water-containing fat. Not butter.

Butter is around 10-15% water and that's the kiss of death for a bundt, because greasing a cake pan with butter makes the cake more likely to stick, even if you also dust the pan with flour.

This isn't too critical for most cakes like the Wacky Cake we've been talking about, but for a bundt, it makes a huge difference whether the cake comes out of the pan in one piece or in chunks. A lot less tears and cussin' in my kitchen since I've learned this trick.
I was about to say "I've been using butter all these years and my cakes came out fine until I reread what you wrote. Yea, bundt cakes are a whole other level and I agree.

That crazy cake recipe cuts in half easily for a small one pan cake. We use melted butter instead of oil for more flavor, and dry instant or leftover coffee like mentioned above. It’s not a rich cake, but never fails and it’s fantastic without frosting. Even my kid eats it without frosting!
I'm not gonna lie, I never tried instant coffee in chocolate cake or even coffee for that matter. I might see if I can halve one of the recipes here and bake a small cake.

You guys are sabotaging my diet right now. Mil used to make mayonnaise cake for all family birthdays. Super moist and dense. (In a good way) it also incorporated boiling water. Not sure why but never even thought about needing to temper the eggs. Ig bc they are already incorporated they are protected somehow, never had a problem.. look up cake bible recipes. It's this enormous book full of cake recipes. Also try Hershey's perfectly perfect chocolate cake. Mmm.
Edit: also this is why I make soap. Gives me something to do in the kitchen that I can't eat :p😇

You guys are sabotaging my diet right now. Mil used to make mayonnaise cake for all family birthdays. Super moist and dense. (In a good way) it also incorporated boiling water. Not sure why but never even thought about needing to temper the eggs. Ig bc they are already incorporated they are protected somehow, never had a problem.. look up cake bible recipes. It's this enormous book full of cake recipes. Also try Hershey's perfectly perfect chocolate cake. Mmm.
Edit: also this is why I make soap. Gives me something to do in the kitchen that I can't eat :p😇
Thanks, I'll check out the Cake Bible and Hershey's recipe. Yeah I bet the eggs are protected because they are incorporated. Not sure what the lumps were in my first cake, probably didn't stir the eggs in enough. Maybe if you did the creaming method, it would be better. I'm still learning a lot.

This is one I've made and it's great.
Chocolate Mayonaise Cake
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon table salt
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    Shortening
    3 large eggs
    1 2/3 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 1/3 cups hot water
    Chocolate-Cream Cheese Frosting
  • Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together flour and next 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Grease (with shortening) and flour a 13- x 9-inch pan. Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla at medium-high speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer about 3 minutes or until mixture is very light brown and ribbons form when beater is lifted. Add mayonnaise, and beat at low speed until combined. Add flour mixture to egg mixture alternately with hot water, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 hour). Spread Chocolate-Cream Cheese Frosting on cake.
This one calls for 'hot' water not boiling. This is a nice recipe to work with. If you want to intensify the chocolate flavor I sometimes add brewed coffee (1/2 c) and reduce water by that amt.
Just made this one- 2 down, 1 million to go! I accidentally 1 1/3 cup coffee and used ice cream instead of frosting. but it was fun and was delicious!

Back