Choco Not-so-Dreamy soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlybyStardancer

Reaction score
So, I decided to make a chocolate-themed soap. First time using cocoa butter in soap, and I scented it with NG's Chocolate Fudge FO (a little bit in the light, rest in the darker two).

Where to begin... I used a green mica for the middle-tone color that has always turned orange on me in the past. I figured it'd be a great way to add a warm richness to the medium color. Did it turn orange? NOPE. (Dark was colored with cocoa powder, and the light with TD.)

Also, there's something unpleasant about Chocolate Fudge. It smelled a bit harsh to me. Like scorched chocolate or something. Dad's GF thought it just needed a bit of sweetness to balance it out. Dad thought it smelled like musty feet (and went around airing the house out for several days after I soaped with it, to try to get the worst of the scent out of the house!).

Two pics here. One right after cutting, and then the other after letting it sit for a few weeks to let the vanillin darken.

018_zps6jes4ukx.jpg

002_zpswy2ncp4e.jpg

There was nothing wrong with the green in the first pics. I think I like that look better than if it would have come out orange. That combination says "chocolate" to me.

Wow the Vanillin really went to work, didn't it?!!

The green you got at first just makes the mix looks a little cooler than warmer but works well. IT's a little difficult to distinguish after darkening- that is some DARK vanilla color! Your swirls are well done.

The green greyed-out the middle brown color some, which makes it less appealing to me. Heh. I know that the FO would darken a lot (the website says it discolors to a dark chocolate), and I was going for a tri-tone of chocolate colors. I'm really proud of how the soap swirled, given how little I did to set it up!

The scent has lost a little bit of its harshness during the cure, but not all of it. I thought of adding some orange or litsea cubeba to it, but then had decided against it so that I could get an idea of how the FO behaved on its own... kicking myself now.

I just realized what they remind me of! Dark chocolate/white chocolate swirled shells. Mmm. Now I'm craving some.

I liked the original soap but I like the cured one too!

Back