chlorophyll capsules to color

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreabadgley

Reaction score
Hi y'all! Here's another of my coloring experiments. I got a bottle of DeSouza's chlorophyll capsules from my local health food store, hoping I could use them as a natural green colorant. They're awesome! Here are a couple of pictures of the results.

These may be a problem, though, for the all-natural purist, because the compound is actually sodium copper chlorophyllin, which though sodium, copper, and chlorophyll are all natural, I'm sure they are compounded together by humans. Of course, humans are natural, too, so the whole all-natural thing breaks down at this point (are our soaps synthetic since they are man and woman made?), but that's a totally different topic.

Anyway, hope these help anyone who's trying to come up with a natural green colorant!

A swirl for my evergreen Yule soap (using two capsules in the colored portion of 4.5 lb batch):

Solid green for my basil & patchouli soap (using two capsules for 4.5 lb batch). Sorry the photo isn't better - it looks bluer in the photo than it is in real life:

Thanks y'all! I've been branching out and trying colors lately, and it's so much fun! Trying something new is tricky business for me, though - I'm always torn between the fear of ruining a batch of soap and dying of curiosity to see how it would turn out. The curiosity usually wins out ;-)

Very beautiful!! Great work! You should be very proud!

Thanks y'all! OMG I am in soaping heaven right now. My kids are occupied with snacks and an art project, and I am on my second batch of soap for the day. The best part about it, though, is that I'm making one of my spring soaps that I haven't made since, well, last spring, and I forgot how good it smells. I love lemongrass!

Go for it! I'm glad you like it :) It would look lovely on a rosemary/mint. Oooh, now I want to make a rosemary mint...

Beautiful soaps! Gorgeous swirls and such a pretty colour too. I have powdered spirulina which I have read will made a pretty green colour in soap too - think I will have to try it now....I actually bought it as a supplement for my daughter....think she will miss a little bit? :lol:

Tanya :)

topcat said:
Beautiful soaps! Gorgeous swirls and such a pretty colour too. I have powdered spirulina which I have read will made a pretty green colour in soap too - think I will have to try it now....I actually bought it as a supplement for my daughter....think she will miss a little bit? :lol:

Tanya :)

Ooh, yes, I've read about spirulina but I've never tried it. Please let us know how it turns out, and post pics if you can!

Back