chlorine neutralizing soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodi

Reaction score
Anyone heard of this? My S-I-L buys it a lot, cuz she swims at a public pool three times a week.

http://www.swim2000.com

Click on equipment, then do a search for soap.

It claims to be chlorine-neutralizing.

So....how do we find out what's in it?

Chlorine is an element, you can not "nuetralize" it. You might be able to bond it to something else and carry it away (like soap does with dirt & grease) but I doubt it. IMO, it's probably a formula which removes the smell and adds some moisture to the skin.... or it's a complete sham.

sodium thiosulfate will "neutralize" it. It will oxidize the hypochlorous acid which it the part that causes the harsh effects.

Well my s-i-l and all her friends pay big bucks for a bar of soap from this company, which claims to remove the chlorine from your skin when you bathe with it.

Well here it is 2 years later, and my s-i-l is still begging me to make this soap, says she could sell thousands of bars for me (she's a social worker, very well-connected). She also swims three times a week. She's 60 and has the slim body of a 20-something.

She buys is from Swim2000 Inc. http://www.swim2000.com/product/summer-solutions-soap-bar/

Anyone care to research what ingredient removes the chlorine from skin? The one I found, for de-chlorinating pools, is sodium bisulfite or sodium metabisulphite .

Their prices have gone down though. My s-i-l used to pay $10 per bar or more.

I think I can buy this de-chlorination powder, ordering it from a local pharmacy....but do I want to handle large quantities of it? do I want to breathe it in?[/url]

Can you list the ingredients? The only thing I can find on it is that it is French Milled soap - says nothing about the ingredients in it. I find this odd as i never purchase ANYTHING without first reading the ingredients since allergies are on the forefront of my mind.

I would think ANY soap would clean your skin to the point of removing the chlorine. I am curious.

chlorine is "deactivated" by exposure to organic (as in of organic matter, not "organic" in the non-synthetic sense), so rubbing with dirt or peat or something would work too.

Or... protein. Milk soap should do the trick! If you want to go vegetarian, try soy milk.

I think aluminum would work, too, but you don't want to go there LOL.

Still

I think I can buy this de-chlorination powder, ordering it from a local pharmacy....but do I want to handle large quantities of it? do I want to breathe it in?

It's on my todo list aswell, and I would expect it to be an easy to use additive. Probably similar to adding salt to soap.

You still need to research the relevant safety information.

And yes, not a good idea to breathe in any powders. Even if it's probably less dangerous than lye.

Well, this topic is a bit old, but since I was recently searching for how to make chlorine neutralizing soap, I bring what I found.

It seems that Vitamine C (ascorbic acid) or sodium ascorbate is used for neutralizing chlorine (see here http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/html/05231301/05231301.html). I would than think to use lemon juice for dissolving NaOH to get the sodium ascorbate in my soap. Indeed, some calculations and/or experimenting needs to be done in order to well estimate the proportion of lemon juice, so that it does not deactivate too much of NaOH. Or simply dissolving vitamine C in the form of sodium ascorbate in the water for my lye solution.
I think this is the least aggressive form of.

Also, I have read somewhere that simple spraying with vitamine C solution when showering helps to reduce the chlorine smell, even from hair, which can be an option if you do not want to use soap for hair (http://www.swimspray.com/pages/faqs).

Why not juse apple cider vinegar for a rinse, it contains vitamins B1, B2, and B6; biotin; folic acid; niacin; pantothenic acid; and vitamin C. It also contains small amounts of the minerals sodium, phosphorous, potassium, calcium, iron, and magnesium. Apple cider vinegar can also contain significant quantities of acetic acid and citric acid. Would this help neutralize Chlorine left from swimming?

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-816-APPLE%20CIDER%20VINEGAR.aspx?activeIngredientId=816&activeIngredientName=APPLE%20CIDER%20VINEGAR

I would probably hesitate to use apple cider, simply because of the strong smell. But in general, I am not against it, indeed. However, I did not find any evidence that other acids would work, but this does not mean they don't.

The best thing to start with would be something containing the highest possible concentration of ascorbic acid, so that we do not loose the NaOH to other acids, which, maybe do not work.

Or even better, we can use directly sodium ascorbate for two reasons: the highest concentration, no lost of NaOH.

Latest posts

Back