Chives in Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see, I thought that website I mentioned said vinegar is not a chelator. Is it more like a sort of almost chelator? You've definitely noticed the difference when incorporating vinegar though? Thank you!
I think the jury is out when it comes to whether it works as a mild chelator, or not. Perhaps it is recipe-dependent? When our last house had somewhat hard water, I noticed less soap scum from the soaps with vinegar, when comparing with those that did not have vinegar. So my experience is anecdotal at best, but seems to be shared by a few other soapers, as well.

I think the jury is out when it comes to whether it works as a mild chelator, or not. Perhaps it is recipe-dependent? When our last house had somewhat hard water, I noticed less soap scum from the soaps with vinegar, when comparing with those that did not have vinegar. So my experience is anecdotal at best, but seems to be shared by a few other soapers, as well.
I see, thank you!

People sometimes wonder if household chemicals can be effective chelators for soap. Possibilities include table salt (sodium chloride), sodium ascorbate made from Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), sodium acetate made from the acetic acid in vinegar, and sodium lactate made from the lactic acid in fermented dairy.

Sodium acetate and sodium lactate are two household chemicals that can indeed function as chelants. They are sometimes used for that purpose in foods and medical treatments.

I do not see acetate and lactate being recommended, however, as chelants in soap or cosmetics nor for treating minerals in hard water. The chelators normally suggested for these purposes include EDTA, citrate, gluconates, GLDA, etc.

So my take on this is not every chelator is effective for all purposes. Acetate and lactate should be used in soap mainly for the other qualities they contribute, not for their chelating ability.

no medicinal claims are allowed in my country for soap until it has been certified for theraputical use - this is an expensive process

While US is fairly loose when it comes to soap, you still can't make cosmetic or drug claims about your soap without coming under scrutiny of the FDA. And while there is still some flexibility with it comes to 'cosmetic' claims (except for color additives), if you make a drug claim claim, you can end up in a lot of hot water if you aren't registered and had your products approved. A lot of soap makers try to skirt this issue by talking about the 'benefits' of the ingredients they use, but it's not a line I want to skate around.

While US is fairly loose when it comes to soap, you still can't make cosmetic or drug claims about your soap without coming under scrutiny of the FDA. And while there is still some flexibility with it comes to 'cosmetic' claims (except for color additives), if you make a drug claim claim, you can end up in a lot of hot water if you aren't registered and had your products approved

why did you quote me?
(your fda better not be scrutinizin me and my magicestical bath soap all the way over here in my aussie bathtub :tub:)
:eek: ;)

why did you quote me?

Because your Aussie rules regarding medical claims are similar to our own, including the expense.

(your fda better not be scrutinizin me and my magicestical bath soap all the way over here in my aussie bathtub :tub:)

So long as you aren't selling your soap in the US, your magicestical bath soap and Aussie bathtub should be okay.

Latest posts

Back