Chip Off The Old Block

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commoncenz

Reaction score
I was going to make a batch of the recipe I developed for a facial bar today. I'd made a tall/skinny mold for it and everything. I had everything out and ready ... When in walks the Teen son.

"Oh, I see you've got everything ready for us to make soap."

Me: :shock:

Him: "Yeah, remember I said last week I wanted to make a batch"

Me: :shock:

Him: "OK, Let me put my stuff up and Let's do this!"

Me: :shock: ..... :razz:

So, away went the oils that I was going to use and out came the masterbatched container of oils. (BTW, I still didn't remember him EVER saying he wanted to make a batch of soap). Out came the extra gloves, extra goggles and one of dad's long sleeve shirts.

He learned how to measure the oils, to mix colorants, to handle and measure the lye safely, to stick blend to emulsion (he's actually more patient about this than his dad). I walked him through each part of the process slowly and carefully.

By the end he had a whole better understanding of what dad is doing when he's making soap. His exact words were: "I thought you were just in that room throwing stuff together in a pot and pouring it into a wooden box."

He has also asked if we can soap together at least once a month before he graduates and heads off to college. I realize it's probably just that last attempt to spend time with dad before he leaves after next summer, but I appreciate the thought and ... well the love that goes with it.

Plus, I think he actually liked making soap. Maybe he'll be the one that asks for dad's recipes (nope ... develop your own .. lol).

Aww! That's nice! I'm glad it wasn't painful for you, and that it wasn't "older teen" that wanted to join you.

It was actually very enjoyable! And, I have moved my soaping from the kitchen to my daughter's old room ... she is renting an apartment, so does not come home as often. I thought this meant less "intalkrupting" from the "older teen". I was sadly mistaken. He came to the door many times to ask about things like "when's dinner" and "has anyone seen the phone". lol

Commoncenz, that's just awesome! You know he's going to use his new soapy knowledge to wow the girls when he's in college. They'll ask him "what are you wearing? You smell SO good!" He'll nonchalantly reply, "My handcrafted, artisan soap. Do you want to see my soap lab?" That line would have hooked me when I was in college a BUNCH of years ago! Nice influence, dad!

Before today (OK, he says last week) he had shown absolutely zero interest in my soapmaking. In fact, he was dead set against using anything other than the pine tar soap as he says "it's useful because it helped clear up my skin". So, I don't know where the sudden interest came from ... but I'm glad of the opportunity to share an interest and spend more time with him before he's gone.

His exact words were: "I thought you were just in that room throwing stuff together in a pot and pouring it into a wooden box."

I love the way you write your little anecdotes! Thank you for sharing this lovely story. My BF said almost the EXACT same words as above the first time (and only time!) we made soap together. He said he didn't realize how much math and precision was involved. It's pretty cool to impress people we love all while sharing what we love with them.

Your teen sounds really interested. I'm sure he'll be really excited when he gets to use that batch he created! I know my BF was. I also found out he was more patient than me when it came to curing!!

I can barely get my daughter to tell me what she wants her soap to smell like, I would have LOVED to have some time like that before she went off to college. Treasure every minute!

Back