Children's Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CritterPoor

Reaction score
my sister asked me to make her some soap for her kids (4 & 2.5) for Christmas. She sent me a video of someone doing MP soap in individual molds, and then adding a little toy that the kids could play with when the soap was used up. Generally all of my soap making has been CP, has anyone tried this with CP, or do you think the lye would eat at the toy (assume plastic or rubber toy)?

If I do a CP soap (with or without a toy), I'm thinking a high lard soap to keep it nice and gentle. I just purchased FB's frosted cupcake FO. I'm a little worried my husband might try to eat the soap once it's made. It smells so good!

If the toys are purely plastic, the lye won't eat them but the heat might warp them. If you don't/can't do MP, you could make some gentle CP soap and pour in toy shaped molds and include that particular toy in the packaging. I would probably do that if someone puts a similar request to me.

If the toys are purely plastic, the lye won't eat them but the heat might warp them. If you don't/can't do MP, you could make some gentle CP soap and pour in toy shaped molds and include that particular toy in the packaging. I would probably do that if someone puts a similar request to me.

Good point on the heat, that didn't even cross my mind. The mold I plan to use is a silicone mold with owls since the 4 year old LOVES owls. I don't have any MP base here, but I could order some without any problem.

I would get a clear MP base and use that, with MP appropriate colorants. The fun part of using toys is being able to see them and wear the soap down so that you can reach them (if you are toddler, that is!) B/c CP is opaque it is not as fun. I wouldn't use MP on babies, but it sounds like the kids in question are older?

If you can do MP, you could easily put a toy inside as the soap once poured should cool down quickly as there's no active, heat generating saponification process with it. And I see MP soaps with toys inside all over the Internet.

The toy-inside-soap is a wonderful idea, but when given to an actual child...the toy does not stay inside - it is dug out. Then, the soap with a toy sized hole is never used. You'd also think that a 2.5 year old would be incapable of that....but I can give you the name of 15 kids that completely destroyed the soap, including a 3 year old who used a lego brick to scape hers to bits!

I think the fact that you've got a whimsical mold and a great scent for a cp soap is more than good enough. The kids will know that its a soap only for them...and that's huge in their book.

If the 2.5 year old were older; I'd suggest looping a string into the soap to make a soap-on-a-rope - then the soap itself becomes a toy as you can pull it through the water like a boat or hang it on the handles of the faucet.

I would get a clear MP base and use that, with MP appropriate colorants. The fun part of using toys is being able to see them and wear the soap down so that you can reach them (if you are toddler, that is!) B/c CP is opaque it is not as fun. I wouldn't use MP on babies, but it sounds like the kids in question are older?

My sister does have one that is still pretty new, the soap would be for the two older ones. The oldest is 4, and the middle will be about 2.5 come Christmas time

If you can do MP, you could easily put a toy inside as the soap once poured should cool down quickly as there's no active, heat generating saponification process with it. And I see MP soaps with toys inside all over the Internet.

I might do the MP soap. I have a friend who was talking about doing some MP, so maybe I'll just order a larger thing and we cans split it.

The toy-inside-soap is a wonderful idea, but when given to an actual child...the toy does not stay inside - it is dug out. Then, the soap with a toy sized hole is never used. You'd also think that a 2.5 year old would be incapable of that....but I can give you the name of 15 kids that completely destroyed the soap, including a 3 year old who used a lego brick to scape hers to bits!

I think the fact that you've got a whimsical mold and a great scent for a cp soap is more than good enough. The kids will know that its a soap only for them...and that's huge in their book.

If the 2.5 year old were older; I'd suggest looping a string into the soap to make a soap-on-a-rope - then the soap itself becomes a toy as you can pull it through the water like a boat or hang it on the handles of the faucet.

Haha. See you can tell that I don't have kids. This wouldn't have even occurred to me, lol. I might have to do the toy in the soap though because my husband is really excited about it. I be he is going to start wondering what I put into his soap. "Love, dear. I put love into your soap. Now back off and leave me be"

Back