Chicken Burrito Bowls

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
INSTANT POT 20-MINUTE CHICKEN BURRITO BOWLS

This literally comes together in less than 10 min prep and another 10 min in the pressure cooker. The chicken is so tender and the flavors are just unbelievable! You'll never want to make burrito bowls without your Instant Pot! The chicken comes out perfectly tender but the rice is the true hero –soaked with all the burrito bowl flavors from the IP magic.

Serve with fresh cilantro leaves, a lime wedge, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.

NOTE: I don't have an IP so I use pre-cooked chicken and rice. ;)

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 (15-ounce) can corn kernels, drained
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup salsa, homemade or store-bought
1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles
1 cup long-grain rice
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Directions:
Add chicken, taco seasoning and chicken broth to a 6-qt Instant Pot® and gently toss to combine.
Stir in corn, black beans, salsa and green chiles. Without stirring, add rice.
Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high, and set time for 10 minutes.
When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.
Stir in cheese until melted, about 1 minute.
Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro, if desired.

Chk Bur Ingreds.jpg
Chicken Burrito Bowl.jpg

I am not trying to hijack the recipe but to add a tad more authentic Mexican flavoring add in some cumin powder and oregano. Even though this calls for the prepackaged seasoning mix I find them to be short on cumin and oregano which are two staple seasonings. If you have extra time precooking some chicken leg meat or chicken thighs on the bone for 10 min in the IP quick-, remove chicken cut off the bone then add all back to the broth and cook per recipe. This will create more broth so I would cut the original amount to 3/4 cup.

In the first sentence, I mentioned not hijacking the recipe, but I guess I did so I do apologize for the hijack, I am not a great recipe follower, because recipes are usually too short on flavor and I live in a very Hispanic area of So Cal, so I cook and eat a lot of Mexican food. You will find they do not use chicken breast much, (no flavor) other than whole chickens. A lot of leg quarters are sold here because there is a lot of flavors and they are cheap.

Last edited:
As someone who pines for the flavorful Mexican food that was everywhere in CA (and nowhere in Idaho, apparently), I totally agree with @cmzaha!

Also, I actually don't used packaged seasoning mix; I make my own with this easy recipe:

Taco Seasoning - Recipe equals one package
2 tsp. chili powder
1½ tsp. paprika
1½ tsp cumin
1 tsp. onion powder
¾ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp sea salt
dash cayenne

This is so much less expensive and so much more flavorful than those packets, most of which have hidden MSG in them (they use other names to disguise it). Even with this homemade recipe, I still end up adding more cumin... because there is no such thing as too much cumin. 😁 And my husband and I tend to like things a little spicier, so I often add chipotle chili powder, too. ETA: and yes to the oregano, too!!

As someone who pines for the flavorful Mexican food that was everywhere in CA (and nowhere in Idaho, apparently), I totally agree with @cmzaha!

Also, I actually don't used packaged seasoning mix; I make my own with this easy recipe:

2 tsp. chili powder
1½ tsp. paprika
1½ tsp cumin
1 tsp. onion powder
¾ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp sea salt
dash cayenne

This is so much less expensive and so much more flavorful than those packets, most of which have hidden MSG in them (they use other names to disguise it). Even with this homemade recipe, I still end up adding more cumin... because there is no such thing as too much cumin. 😁 And my husband and I tend to like things a little spicier, so I often add chipotle chili powder, too. ETA: and yes to the oregano, too!!
You are right about no such thing as too much cumin. Unless you hate oregano as my oldest daughter does try a little it really kicks it up. Like you, I never use the packets. In place of salt, Knorr powdered Chicken bouillon can be used.

Agree w/ ya'll here in SoCal we love our spicy full of flavor Mexican Food & some yummy salsa 🌶🍅🥬.

I love my Insta Pot' its one appliance thats never stored away' it's on the counter top being used few times a week.👍🏼

Thx for your recipes friends. 🤗💫

Deciding what to make for dinner is 'literally' the most challenging part of my day in these covid days! This looks quite delicious and I will definitely try it. Thanks for sharing.

Deciding what to make for dinner is 'literally' the most challenging part of my day in these covid days! This looks quite delicious and I will definitely try it. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome. I'm the same way... dinner is the most challenging part of my day these days too! The option of going out for dinner disappeared along with some of my favorite dine-in restaurants. 😢

2 tsp. chili powder
1½ tsp. paprika
1½ tsp cumin
1 tsp. onion powder
¾ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp sea salt
dash cayenne

I always make my own also... I'll have to compare your - always lookiing for improvements! :D

I am not trying to hijack the recipe but to add a tad more authentic Mexican flavoring add in some cumin powder and oregano. Even though this calls for the prepackaged seasoning mix I find them to be short on cumin and oregano which are two staple seasonings. If you have extra time precooking some chicken leg meat or chicken thighs on the bone for 10 min in the IP quick-, remove chicken cut off the bone then add all back to the broth and cook per recipe. This will create more broth so I would cut the original amount to 3/4 cup.

In the first sentence, I mentioned not hijacking the recipe, but I guess I did so I do apologize for the hijack, I am not a great recipe follower, because recipes are usually too short on flavor and I live in a very Hispanic area of So Cal, so I cook and eat a lot of Mexican food. You will find they do not use chicken breast much, (no flavor) other than whole chickens. A lot of leg quarters are sold here because there is a lot of flavors and they are cheap.

I LOVE cumin... I think it's probably my favorite spice. I also make a lot of Indian & Middle Eastern dishes so prefer to make my own spice mixtures to my taste. All recipes are basically just a 'starting off ' point.

Well I guess I'm the odd one out about cumin. I enjoy a moderate amount, my husband enjoys less yet. Perhaps because it seems to be a fad in many recipes lately. Made a vegan soup for our DIL and the cumin was sooo strong.

Well I guess I'm the odd one out about cumin. I enjoy a moderate amount, my husband enjoys less yet. Perhaps because it seems to be a fad in many recipes lately. Made a vegan soup for our DIL and the cumin was sooo strong.
I do think it is a love-hate thing, kind of like cilantro. I grew up on the north end of the east coast of the US, where Italian food reigned supreme. I'd never had a taco, burrito, or any Mexican or South American food in my life until we moved to California. It tasted awful to me at first, and took years for me to start enjoying it. Even 40+ years later, my dad still hates the taste of Mexican food, mostly because of cumin and cilantro.

Latest posts

Back