Chemistry question, I think

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly B

Reaction score
In fragrance oils, what is in them that causes issues? For example, florals have a tendency to accelerate. What
is in floral FOs that make them different?

It's not really an important question, given that FOs don't list their ingredients, but I'm just curious. Apologies if this has been discussed before--I couldn't think of a good key word to use for a search.

I've actually wondered about this too.. I'm afraid I can't provide you with any answers, but I'd like to follow and see if any come up!

this is what i got from a quick google search for "what are fragrance oils made from":

Fragrance oils are a mixture composed of essential oils, synthetic aroma chemicals, and aromatic resins. In order to achieve the scent that a perfumist is trying to achieve, the perfumist has more than 3000 different fragrance ingredients that he may use (natural and synthetic)

i would assume it's the stuff like resins and other "synthetic aroma chemicals" that affect the soaping process.

i.e. if florals contain a lot of resin maybe thats what makes them accelerate quickly.

these are just my own musings on the subject. not a pro by any means!

hope this helps!

Back