Chelating agent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Potassium carbonate is a thickener. It's not a chelator.

Yes, you can use citrate as a chelator. If you add citric acid to the soap to make citrate, be sure to also add the extra KOH for the citric acid to react with.

Potassium carbonate is a thickener. It's not a chelator.

Yes, you can use citrate as a chelator. If you add citric acid to the soap to make citrate, be sure to also add the extra KOH for the citric acid to react with.
Thank you DeeAnna, for clarifying . The lady who taught me mentioned Pot Carbonate as a chelator. . ibam so glad I asked my doubt here ..
1 unit citric acid : 8 of KOH ..I hope I got that right .. For liquid soap can I add a little less koh as I want the superfat % in my soap to increase

I advise against more than about 3% superfat in liquid soap. When the superfat goes over 3%, the excess fat usually separates from the diluted soap.

Liquid soap isn't nearly as forgiving as bar (NaOH) soap, so don't "eyeball" amounts. Calculate the numbers so you have the most control over what is in the soap. The more accurate relationship -- 10 g citric acid neutralizes 8.42 g KOH

Back