Cheers from Sun Diego!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sun Diego

Reaction score
Greetings and Salutations!

This is my 1st time joining any forum so I'm very excited to be here!

I haven't tried soaping yet and only until about a month ago while working on a literary project, found myself generating other income revenue ideas and soap making came to mind. I am already a creative surrounded by graphic design, interior design and all things involved in the kitchen. I make homemade meals at least once if not twice most days simply because I have the time.

I am in the process of writing a series of children's books and he is an artist/illustrator who is currently ranked 2nd in the world for the International Society of Caricature Artists! Our home is a creative place 24/7 and I am exciting to embark on a this new soap making adventure! Working at and from home with a husband I spend almost 98% of my time with, I need creative outlets that involve "me time" and a relaxing/meditative distraction from the other writing and art projects we work on.

I've just read over some of the SMF guidelines and really appreciated seeing there's a love for all Soapmaking here! I spoke to a couple of acquaintances last week about my interest in soap making and how I wanted to start out with Melt and Pours and one of them wasn't very encouraging. Via text I got both a SMH and a LOL followed by a lot of criticism for MPs as well as any kind of decorative soap making that wasn't "pure" so I came across this forum and hope for the best at learning in a more tear-free kind of way! I mean, I know soap can burn your eyes but embarking on a new adventure shouldn't! I want to learn a lot about soaping and as a person who loves both the simple and intricacies of design, I want to try it ALL!

I will proudly start learning about different scents and color making through MPs and will venture on to CPs once I feel more confident. My husband is all up in arms about me using lye and wants me to only stick with MPs but I'm adventurous so that's not an option.

I went to the Michaels and purchased a silicone mold with 24 square cavities and am going to start with testing out the several scents I just purchased from Natures Garden! I'm waiting on my colorants that I purchased from TKB Trading and the a few different 1 pound SFIC MPs I've purchased from Brambleberry to start out with. While at Michaels I purchased a goat milk and a clear MP that I'm considering returning because I really want to trying other MP brands but I just placed my MP order today and I'm patiently waiting for everything to arrive!

In the meantime I'm looking into different ingredients, learning and researching, getting hip to so many acronyms and about so many different kinds of ingredients! I'm just trying to find my place in the soaping world one lathering dollar at a time!

Thank you so much for allowing me to share a lot about me and my world with a lengthy introduction! I hope I've joined a community of people I can learn from as well as share and ask questions from time to time!

Cheers from sunny Southern California!

Last edited:
Welcome, Sun Diego!

I started out doing MP, and found it very enjoyable......until CP stole my heart away. lol There's so many creative/design things you can do with MP that are difficult, if not impossible to do with CP, and there are things you can do with CP that are difficult, if not impossible to do with MP. I myself consider all forms of soap to be wonderful things to work with. Although CP stole my heart away, I still use MP.....I love to incorporate it into some of my CP batches as a design element.

There are several members here who create such beautiful soaps with MP. It's truly an art form.

IrishLass :)

Welcome, Sun Diego!

I started out doing MP, and found it very enjoyable......until CP stole my heart away. lol There's so many creative/design things you can do with MP that are difficult, if not impossible to do with CP, and there are things you can do with CP that are difficult, if not impossible to do with MP. I myself consider all forms of soap to be wonderful things to work with. Although CP stole my heart away, I still use MP.....I love to incorporate it into some of my CP batches as a design element.

There are several members here who create such beautiful soaps with MP. It's truly an art form.

IrishLass :)
Thanks so much IrishLass! I definitely look forward to experimenting!

Bem-vindo ao mundo mágico do sabão!
Thanks so much BRSoaper!

Welcome to the forum. Although I am a CP soapmaker my daughter excelled in m&p and did very well until she closed down her end of the business. I was always envious of her beautiful soaps, and the bases have become better and better over the years. Essentials by Catalina carry very good bases and you can will call from them, it a reasonable drive from your area.

If you get to the Huntington Beach area check out this company that has some beautiful melt and pour soaps. https://www.primalelements.com/vegetable-glycerin-loaf-soap.html. Apparently they have moved because they were located in Newport Beach when I visited the store, near the original Crab Cooker.

Welcome to the forum. Although I am a CP soapmaker my daughter excelled in m&p and did very well until she closed down her end of the business. I was always envious of her beautiful soaps, and the bases have become better and better over the years. Essentials by Catalina carry very good bases and you can will call from them, it a reasonable drive from your area.

If you get to the Huntington Beach area check out this company that has some beautiful melt and pour soaps. https://www.primalelements.com/vegetable-glycerin-loaf-soap.html. Apparently they have moved because they were located in Newport Beach when I visited the store, near the original Crab Cooker.
OMG @cmzaha thanks so much for the resources and the warm welcome! I very much would love to go to an actual store front and check some things out in person. I have a few SFIC soaps coming and I almost purchased some from Stephenson online but I gotta reel the budget in and not go too wild ;)

Latest posts

Back