Check your department of Treasury for unclaimed money

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I forgot about this little tid bit that was told to me a few years ago. Your states treasury department (or a prior state that you might have lived in), has a list of unclaimed money.

I don't know why I just remembered this today (maybe because my car broke down on my way home from work tonight and had to leave it there and get a ride home LOL), but I went to the department of PA's treasury and I had two unclaimed accounts. At first all it gave me was a prior address and only that it was "over $100". I put in an application (literally less than a minute) and checked my email and I am getting two "properties" that I will be receiving a check for $1,743.53.

Not a scam, I went directly to the actual department of treasury's website for PA and clicked on their link for unclaimed property.

Just thought I'd share :). Go see if you have money lol.

edit: I just checked florida and I have no money owed to me LOL

I've checked for my deceased brother, myself, my husband & my sons just last week. Oh, yes, and my deceased husband (I was widowed before marrying current husband.)

So it turns out there is money owed my deceased brother, so I forwarded that information so that his son can claim it if he so desires.

I was surprised that there was money owed for my deceased husband (decades ago!) but although I started the process, I am not sure I will do all the follow through, as there is a lot of rigamarole to go through to prove a legitimate claim. They want certified copies of certain documents as well as other documents, all of which I have, but those certified copies cost a bundle these days, so I don't know that I want to give up documents that cost me $5 each originally but would cost me $25 or $30 (depends on the document source) to replace today. Plus the additional cost of getting my signature notarized, although I do think our credit union will notarize for free.

It might be worth it if the money is substantial. The PA site didnt tell me exactly how much until i finished the online form. And i still dont know where from lol
Your >$1700 is more substantial, for sure. The California site does list the actual amount, at least (in this instance). I'm still undecided if I will do the follow through or not. I am not sure how long this money remains in limbo thus, but apparently quite a long time! He has been gone over 32 years.

The crazy thing about the Pennsylvania treasury website is that it only asked for your ss# and current address for validation of identification. I kinda thought that was odd. I figured that I would get asked for some other ID or paperwork, but it seems from the email that it's clear and being processed. Who knows, I might be asked for something later. I will update.

haha, I know a guy who checked his and found he had inherited a boatload of money!
I checked for my sister once and she had some money coming to her from the state too, forget what it was for, but she had a good chuckle over it and got her money.

Back