Check your department of Treasury for unclaimed money

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot about this little tid bit that was told to me a few years ago. Your states treasury department (or a prior state that you might have lived in), has a list of unclaimed money.

I don't know why I just remembered this today (maybe because my car broke down on my way home from work tonight and had to leave it there and get a ride home LOL), but I went to the department of PA's treasury and I had two unclaimed accounts. At first all it gave me was a prior address and only that it was "over $100". I put in an application (literally less than a minute) and checked my email and I am getting two "properties" that I will be receiving a check for $1,743.53.

Not a scam, I went directly to the actual department of treasury's website for PA and clicked on their link for unclaimed property.

Just thought I'd share :). Go see if you have money lol.

edit: I just checked florida and I have no money owed to me LOL

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've checked for my deceased brother, myself, my husband & my sons just last week. Oh, yes, and my deceased husband (I was widowed before marrying current husband.)

So it turns out there is money owed my deceased brother, so I forwarded that information so that his son can claim it if he so desires.

I was surprised that there was money owed for my deceased husband (decades ago!) but although I started the process, I am not sure I will do all the follow through, as there is a lot of rigamarole to go through to prove a legitimate claim. They want certified copies of certain documents as well as other documents, all of which I have, but those certified copies cost a bundle these days, so I don't know that I want to give up documents that cost me $5 each originally but would cost me $25 or $30 (depends on the document source) to replace today. Plus the additional cost of getting my signature notarized, although I do think our credit union will notarize for free.

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might be worth it if the money is substantial. The PA site didnt tell me exactly how much until i finished the online form. And i still dont know where from lol

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It might be worth it if the money is substantial. The PA site didnt tell me exactly how much until i finished the online form. And i still dont know where from lol
Your >$1700 is more substantial, for sure. The California site does list the actual amount, at least (in this instance). I'm still undecided if I will do the follow through or not. I am not sure how long this money remains in limbo thus, but apparently quite a long time! He has been gone over 32 years.

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The crazy thing about the Pennsylvania treasury website is that it only asked for your ss# and current address for validation of identification. I kinda thought that was odd. I figured that I would get asked for some other ID or paperwork, but it seems from the email that it's clear and being processed. Who knows, I might be asked for something later. I will update.

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve gotten money from the CA treasury site before, for myself and for a relative. Took some time after they approved the claim, but the money eventually came.

cassia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
haha, I know a guy who checked his and found he had inherited a boatload of money!
I checked for my sister once and she had some money coming to her from the state too, forget what it was for, but she had a good chuckle over it and got her money.

Latest posts