Cheapest Mica Ever?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennyannlowe

Reaction score
Im brand new to soaping. I have yet to make a batch. I am in supply gathering mode right now. From what I understand, mica colorant is the best way to go.

Can each of you tell me what is the all around cheapest online place to buy a set of mica colorants? I know some sites will have some prices that vary, and in the future I may buy some colors from specific places. But to start off with, I would like a large set of variety.

What website has the best deal?

I order mine from a facebook co-op group called micas and more. She will be having her first group buy of the year in 1 week (starting the 11th). She has a "I want them all!" sample pack that is only $35 and includes all 38 or so of her colors. Shipping is also only around $3. She is wonderful to work with and she tests all of her micas. I highly recommend her.

Oh, and she gives you enough soap to color 1 cup of soap dark or a few pounds lightly. Its really worth it.

Howdy and welcome to the forum!

I haven't tried Galaxy's one yet (I'll have to keep it on my radar for some time in the future), but I highly recommend Nurture. They may not be the absolute cheapest, but they are very reasonable. Plus, you know that you're getting quality that doesn't morph or fade. The colors all pretty much perform exactly like is shown on their website. If you're starting a collection there... you really cannot go wrong with any of their colors. Some of my favorites:

Klein Blue
Teal Blue
Apple Green
Red Violet
Really Red
Vibrance Purple (actually the whole vibrance line is great - though I prefer other greens just as a personal choice)
the neon line is a lot of fun too

Make sure to pickup a black mica or activated charcoal and some titanium dioxide to darken or lighten colors.

I really like TKB Trading. That being said - if you are placing an order for other stuff, it's probably going to be more cost effective to get your colors there.

The lady who runs Micas and More, tests all of her colors for CP stability/morphing. She even has a few custom colors in the works. She also sells other additives like goats milk powder and other natural colors/clays. The sample sized bags have I think 2 teaspoons of mica in them.

The downfall is the fact that you can only order from her during the group buys. For me, its worth it since I simply plan it out.

She used to order from the conservatoire but since they closed/indefinitely moving she has switched to another, undisclosed, supplier. Considering 2 oz of mica is only $4-5 for almost all of the colors (except the neons), it really is worth it to me. Plus, her shipping is flat rate at $7 (or less).

I order mine from a facebook co-op group called micas and more. She will be having her first group buy of the year in 1 week (starting the 11th). She has a "I want them all!" sample pack that is only $35 and includes all 38 or so of her colors. Shipping is also only around $3. She is wonderful to work with and she tests all of her micas. I highly recommend her.

Oh, and she gives you enough soap to color 1 cup of soap dark or a few pounds lightly. Its really worth it.
I also purchase from Micas and More. She ships right after her buy closes. I also Highly recommend her

Mad oils have alot of good deals. I bought a rainbow pack of full 1 oz jars for $35.00. They have sample packs as well if you don't want to spend that much and test and have pics of what it looks like in CP.

Howdy and welcome to the forum!

I haven't tried Galaxy's one yet (I'll have to keep it on my radar for some time in the future), but I highly recommend Nurture. They may not be the absolute cheapest, but they are very reasonable. Plus, you know that you're getting quality that doesn't morph or fade. The colors all pretty much perform exactly like is shown on their website. If you're starting a collection there... you really cannot go wrong with any of their colors. Some of my favorites:

Klein Blue
Teal Blue
Apple Green
Red Violet
Really Red
Vibrance Purple (actually the whole vibrance line is great - though I prefer other greens just as a personal choice)
the neon line is a lot of fun too

Make sure to pickup a black mica or activated charcoal and some titanium dioxide to darken or lighten colors.

May I ask what other greens you prefer - and why? I have Nurture's greens. I'd like a richer green than green vibrance, which I find to be a trifle cartoonish. Since it morphs so quickly, I've had no luck trying to other color with it to get the green I want.

I'd also like to add that while the majority of my micas are from Nurture, I'd like to recommend the Twilight mica from Mad Oils - makes a unique blue that I and many of my friends love. Lots of Nurture and Mad oils micas are virtually identical, but not Twilight.

I like Nurture Celadon and Kombu green. The Celadon is a lighter green and the Kombu is a rich dark green. Not sure she still carries those though.

I purchased a large quantity when she had her big sale back some time ago.

May I ask what other greens you prefer - and why? I have Nurture's greens. I'd like a richer green than green vibrance, which I find to be a trifle cartoonish. Since it morphs so quickly, I've had no luck trying to other color with it to get the green I want.

I'd also like to add that while the majority of my micas are from Nurture, I'd like to recommend the Twilight mica from Mad Oils - makes a unique blue that I and many of my friends love. Lots of Nurture and Mad oils micas are virtually identical, but not Twilight.

that's exactly how I feel about Vibrance Green. I've also had trouble with it not entirely morphing back. I wouldn't have minded the olive-ish color it morphed into or the more

Right now my favorite greens are MO Enchanted Forest and

Back