Cheap oil ---> good soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarinaB

Reaction score
Today at Costco I saw all kinds of cheap oils - corn, canola, vegetable, peanut and soybean oils. Can it be used for soapmaking??? I never used those oils. The cheapest I have ever used was beef tallow that I rendered myself. Beef fat got at an Amish farm.

Today at Costco I saw all kinds of cheap oils - corn, canola, vegetable, peanut and soybean oils. Can it be used for soapmaking??? I never used those oils. The cheapest I have ever used was beef tallow that I rendered myself. Beef fat got at an Amish farm.
I started using canola in place of olive oil and I love it! I make a Shea butter soap with lard and canola and it’s the best soap ever! I just got some beef fat from a local butcher and put it in the freezer because I wasn’t sure how to render it. I’m still investigating! Can I just render it in a crock pot like pork fat?

I started using canola in place of olive oil and I love it! I make a Shea butter soap with lard and canola and it’s the best soap ever! I just got some beef fat from a local butcher and put it in the freezer because I wasn’t sure how to render it. I’m still investigating! Can I just render it in a crock pot like pork fat?
I used a crock pot. I put on medium temperature when I was home and on low if I was gone for a day. I bought about 25 kg of beef fat, was busy with that a week. Was happy that saved all plastic buckets. I put tallow in them and set it in a fridge.

From cutting beef fat I got a huge blister on my finger. I cut a lot of fat.

You can definitely use those oils but of all the ones you mentioned, canola is the best of them all. The others are really not the best. Conola has a short shelf life, so I would keep it in the refrigerator.

From cutting beef fat I got a huge blister on my finger. I cut a lot of fat.
I usually have my farmer-butcher grind the tallow for me. Last time I bought it it was in the middle of harvest season and he did not have the time to do it. So I cut it manually (but far from any enormous quantity) - I won't do it again.

The canola from Costco, 35# tote is HO and will last a long time, and I use it a lot. I think the gallon bottle is regular Canola, but if you keep your percentage 20% or less you should not have any signs of DOS as long as you do not superfat high. I would recommend a 3% superfat when using regular Canola. I happen to love Canola in soap.

Thank you everyone for sharing your ideas.
The canola from Costco, 35# tote is HO and will last a long time, and I use it a lot. I think the gallon bottle is regular Canola, but if you keep your percentage 20% or less you should not have any signs of DOS as long as you do not superfat high. I would recommend a 3% superfat when using regular Canola. I happen to love Canola in soap.
Thank you very much! What are another oil do you use with canola oil?

Latest posts

Back